Can Thermage Help with the Fat Pads Under the Eyes?

I have puffy eyes due to the fat pads under my eyes.I had this all my life, I was told by two dr that the only thing I could do was to have them removed. but now I was told that thermage would help. Is this true? I am 42 and would like to put off getting cut.

Thermage for puffy eyes

+1

It is always difficult to advise a patient about what treatment is best for them without seeing them first but the definitive treatment for the puffiness from fat that you describe is blepharoplasty.  If you're not quite ready for surgery for one reason or another then our next best solution is disguise.  We can help disguise the problem in two ways: 1) Thermage for the skin under the eyes to tighten it as much as possible and produce new collagen to thicken the skin (this will not effect the muscle, which is ultimately what's responsible for holding in/back the fat) 2) Injection of a filler like Restylane to the tear trough and under eye hollows to create a smoother transition from the area of fullness under the eye to the upper cheek.  If we can improve some of the shadowing, the puffiness does not appear as pronounced.

Dr. Grant Stevens            

Thermage or blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) for fat pads under the eyes

+1

Fat pads under the eyes are deep to the muscle and below the effective level of Thermage , This procedure will do nothing for your fat pads . You should save your money and have a lower blepharoplasty  instead.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Thermage for the Eyes

+1

The eyes are the windows to the soul. All too often, however, they seem to reveal exhaustion. The very delicate skin around the eyes tends to get crepey and puffy due to fatigue and stress. An effective non-surgical option that might benefit you is Thermage, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. The new and improved Thermage is a virtually painless, non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Thermage is ineffective as a treatment for lower eyelid bags

+1

Lower eyelid bags causing a chronically tired appearance is most commonly the result of adipose tissue (fat) that has migrated to beneath the eyelid surface from the eye socket. The treatment for this condition is to either surgically remove the fat or to reposition it back into the socket. The results are permanent. A nonsurgical bu temporary fix for this problem can be achieved by masking the protruding fat with injections of a soft tissue filler around it. This is a temporary solution because the filler will absorb and you will need to repeat the injections to maintain the results.

Occassionaly, a significant amount of loose lower lid skin will mimic the appearance of bags similar to those caused by fat. Thermage is relatively new technology that tightens to a degree loose skin. However, the amount of loose skin that would mimic lower lid bags would be beyond the capabilities of Thermage to tighten. This amount of skin would once again require a surgical removal or possibly laser skin resurfacing.

David A. Ross, MD

Restylane good for under eye bags.

+1

Hi.

This is a very common problem that we see. Thermage does not help. Many people do well without surgery by having small amounts of Restylane injected under the bags, which hides them.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)