Thermage or Surgery for More Upper Eyelid Space?

I'm 23 years old and I would like more upper eyelid space and definition in my eyebrows. Would I be an ideal candidate for Thermage or would I have to turn to surgery?

Too young for these ideas!

+3

At 23, you are FAR too young to be thinking about invasive and potentially injurious plastic surgery procedures and you sound too critical of yourself. Just use great sun protection and take care of your skin and enjoy your youth and be kind to yourself!

Pennylane in your eyes

+2

Pennylane,
You are far too young to consider eyelid or browlift surgery unless you have some form of congenital deformity. I suggest a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if there is a way to achieve your goals without being too invasive. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Be careful about pursuing these options

+2

I have not been very impressed with the results of Thermage in general. It may be effective in some patients; but it is, at best, highly variable. You are quite young to pursue treatment to this area. We will, on occasion, treat young patients with browlifts -- typically in a minimally invasive fashion. This is in patients who have a congenitally low eyebrow.

Patrick Byrne, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may be too young for any procedure.

+2

Hi!  Very hard to advise you not knowing what you look like.  I am a big fan of Thermage for the jaw line, the abdomen, and the thighs.  I think it is less effective around the eyes. And I have never done cosmetic eyelid or eyebrow surgery on someone as young as you.  So be careful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Thermage should not be used on the eyelids

+2

Thermage is a radiofrequency skin tightening device, and in my opinion is not safe to use on the thin eyelid skin. I worry that the radiofrequency energy could penetrate the thin eyelid skin and injure the tissues beneath the eyelid.

Even if Thermage was safe to use, it will not affect the eyelid space.

Lack of definition of the upper eyelid and brow space is usually caused by fat deposits beneath the eyelid, combined with a small orbit (bony eye socket) and a low set brow.

I would have to see your pictures to be sure, but an upper blepharoplasty would most likely be the best procedure to increase definition of the upper lid and an enlargement of the space above the eyelid. A brow lift might be needed as well, but I would have to see your pictures.

You may want to see before and after pictures of upper blepharoplasty and brow lift.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

No to Thermage on upper eyelids

+2

You are young and looking to change the shape of your upper eyelids. I assume that your eyebrows are a little low. A good starting point may be as easy as an expert aesthetician to tweeze your eyebrows into a nicer shape. That shape as defined in an article I wrote in the mid 90's, should be an arched eyebrow with the maximal peak just over a line drawn vertically from the outside edge of the colored portion of the eye.

Thermage is dangerous and can cause irregular and sometimes devastating results. Surgery can be an easy fix, albeit with risks associated with any surgery. We can remove fat from the outer upper eyelids or we can do a browlift. Either way, seek out a good, honest plastic surgeon to provide the risks and benefits. Good Luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Thermage is not going to create more upper eyelid space.

+1

Thermage is not going to create more upper eyelid space. If more definition of the upper eyelids is desired, upper blepharoplasty can be performed. Depending upon the amount of skin, the excess skin, muscle and fat in the upper lid could be all addressed at the time of the blepharoplasty to get a nice aesthetic result.

Surgery

+1

I apologize to all those plastic surgeons who bought Thermage but they know as well as I that it doens't work. In fact I've had offers from several that wanted to sell me their Thermage divices. So with that said talk to your surgeon about a brow lift with or without an eyelid lift.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Thermage offers minimal results

+1

I would not expect significant changes in facial characteristics from a Thermage treatment. Other minimally invasive techiques like Botox can change facial proportions,, but are temporary. Eyelid surgery can be effective, but you should be 100% committed to this path and be sure you interests are not just a passing thought.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best to post pictures with questions like this

+1

We would love to give you our expert advice. However, without pictures, it is hard to give you any specific advice. I would not suggest Thermage on the eyelid - if that is what you are asking. You are fairly young for eyelid surgery. You might want to consider Botox Cosmetic in the lateral canthal / crow's feet region. This will help raise your eyebrow and open up the space between your lid and your brow. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD