Will Thermage CPT Help Acne Scars?

Thermage CPT does not treat acne scars

+1
Thermage CPT acts to tighten the skin and produce more collagen.  It will not help acne scars.  You are much better having a fractionated laser to treat your scars - a series of five treatments is indicated for the best results.

Effectiveness of Thermage for acne scars

+1

Thermage causes tightening of existing collagen and stimulation of new collagen so it can help acne scars to some degree, especially if the skin is loose in a mature patient.  It takes 3 to 6 months to see the result and can then be repeated after 6 months.  There is no downtime with Thermage.  I recommend combining Thermage with laser treatments for acne scars. 

Fractional lasers, such as the non-ablative Fraxel restore or the more aggressive ablative CO2, are more effective than Thermage in treating acne scars in younger patients.  There is some downtime and several treatments are usually required, depending on the extent of the scarring.  Most patients see a 50 to 80% improvement in their scarring.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Thermage CPT will not treat acne scars

+1

Thermage CPT is not approved nor effective for acne scars.  For a brief period, you might get some edema which will improve the appearence of scars.  Currently, in my opinion, Fraxel 1550, is great for treating acne scars.  CO2 and Erbium ablative lasers are very effective but have the downtime associated with them.

Steven F. Weiner, MD