Will Thermage Work on Black Skin to Tighten Abdomen?

I am a 40 year old afro-British lady. After 2 c-sections there is some wrinkled skin on my abdomen area, although nothing excessive. In general I am in good shape with good muscle and skin tone. I am considering Thermage to tighten up this skin problem. Will it work? I do not want to undergo tummy tuck surgery if I can in anyway avoid it!

Thermage on the Abdomen

+1

Thermage on the Abdomen will help improve skin laxity on the abdomen after having a baby.  Thermage is colorblind and does not see skin colors, therefore it is safe to use on any skin, light or dark.  The key to getting a good Thermage treatment would be to use the proper Body by Thermage tip, and be sure an adequate number of pulses at an effective energy level are done.  The results will be subtle, so it is good for minor laxity.  If you are a good candidate for a tummy-tuck, Thermage is not for you.

Thermage for the belly

+1

Thermage may help tighten the skin on the lower abdomen and firm up the tissue. The treatment is safe in all skin types -- light or dark -- and can be used almost anywhere on the body. Thermage is commonly used on the face to firm up jowling and a lax lower face and cheeks. It also has shown benefit in firming up certain areas on the body. Although it has very minimal risks and is a relatively easy procedure to perform, the results may be a little more unpredictable on the body.

I perform this treatment regularly in my office and I think it makes a nice difference in the average person who is a good candidate for treatment -- relatively good shape and muscle tone just with loose, lax skin that she cannot firm up through exercise. This treatment will not be as impressive as a surgical procedure such as a tummy tuck, but there are no scars and should be almost no downtime. I think it is a very reasonable treatment option for a woman who does not want to undergo a very invasive surgical procedure or who has minimal skin that needs to be tightened. I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist