Is There Anything Wrong with Getting an Implant That May Stick out on the Sides?

Thanks for reading my question! I am going for a 'side boob' and extreme cleavage look...but maybe I have the wrong idea here?? I was thinking about getting a low profile implant that is a little wider than my frame. Will this cause any problems? And, is it even possible? I am 5'7, 110lbs, 32A, thin/athletic. I am trying to avoid the look of implants that are spaced far apart and stick out away from the body. Please tell me I can acheive boobies that are close together and side boob :)

There Can be Some Risks with Too Wide an Implant

+2

The different implant profiles allow us some options in shaping the breast, and your question is relevant: you can have more lateral fullness with a wider implant, but it will not make the implants closer over the center of the chest.

• The Breastbone:  The space between the breasts depends upon the width of your breastbone and the width of your natural breast tissue.
  • Cleavage:  Cleavage can be shaped with your bra and is aided by the increased volume of the breast after augmentation with implants.
  • The "Uniboob:"  We avoid moving the implants over the breastbone to avoid the risk of the implant pockets connecting in the middle, resulting in a loss of implant separation, the so-called "uniboob."  It is a mistake to try to position the implants closer together over the breastbone.
  • Implant Edge: If the width of the implant exceeds the width of your natural breast tissue, you are more likely to feel or see the edge of the implant or rippling,
  • Lateral Drift: Lateral drift is one potential risk of choosing an implant width that is relatively wide for your individual chest measurements. Because the implant pocket is wide for the implant, the implant may drift too far to the side of the chest when you are lying on your back: the implant moves toward the armpit or side of the chest, leaving too wide a space over the center of the chest.
  • Limitations and the "Ideal:" There is no simple formula for calculating the ideal result for every individual. Sometimes, the characteristics of a person's anatomy and the limits of our technology and techniques may require compromises.

Helping you figure the right size and shape implant to give you optimal results is best accomplished in consultation with a plastic surgeon with lots of experience with breast augmentation and with a reputation for excellent results and patient satisfaction.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Dangers of placing wide base breast implants

+1

Your preposition that wider base implants will give you what you are looking for is a dangerous one. If the implant is too wide for your chest it is too wide in every direction not just left to right. This can result in visible implant rippling (because the edges of the implant are not covered by breast tissue), symmastia or uniboob (because the inner edges of the 2 implants meet), destruction of the crease under the breast with downward migration of the implants and squaring off of the natural rounded contours of the breast. All of these would require additional surgery, increase your total costs and detract from your end result.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Achieving the look you want with breast augmentation

+1

Your anatomy will play a large role in the outcome of a properly performed breast augmentation. When you schedule your appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon they will examine you they will take measurements and review how a breast augmentation enhances your breasts. Whether you have more lateral or side breast does depend on the implant width but more importantly where your natural breast stops or ends. If you try to make it too far too the side, the coverage of the implants will be thinner and you have a higher chance of visible rippling. The implants chosen should complement your natural breast shape.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Achieving Cleavage With Low Profile Implant

+1

Hello Bria,

What you are trying to achieve depends a lot on your breast / chest anatomy.  Achieving cleavage and 'side boob' is a bit easier with the low profile implant which is wider than the other profile implants (Moderate Plus, High Profile).  The amount of cleavage will depend on implant placement (under versus over the muscle) and how much space exists between your breasts now.  Breasts will naturally fall to the side and thus the 'side boob' is easier to achieve by choosing an implant that is wider than your own breast allowing it to extend to the sides.

A thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon is very important so that your goals are clear and realistic expectations are equally clear.  My best wishes for a beautiful result

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Best Breasts Implant Profile for Me?

+1

It will be in your best interests to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  During this consultation you will be able to  communicate  your goals and receive advice whether your goals are achievable/realistic.  I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.  Once you have communicated your goals, your plastic surgeon will be able to advise you as to what breast implant profile and/or size range may best help you achieve these goals.

Much of what you will be able to achieve will depend on your own anatomy. Remember, that breast augmentation will generally create a larger version of your own breasts.  if a surgeon tries to “push the envelope” to create too much “side boob” or “extreme cleavage” you may end up with a implant malposition problem and/or significant rippling/culpability of the breast implants.

In other words, be careful about trying to achieve too “extreme” of a look.

Choosing the right implant profile

+1

While you are right in thinking that a lower profile implant will allow you to fill a greater width of your chest and potentially allow you to achieve your goals of cleavage and "side boob", much of your end result will ultimately depend on your anatomy. The implant profile does play some role in the overall result, but maybe not as much as you think. If you are placing the implants under the muscle (which I almost always suggest), then your cleavage might ultimately depend upon how your pectoralis muscle inserts onto your sternum. Your consultation and physical exam with your surgeon will better answer your questions. Best wishes. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon