Are There Other Ways of Achieving Symmetrical Breasts Without Getting Scarred on the Outside?

My ps gave me two options, 1)To wear the post opt bra for three months, (as if its going to do anything now a year in a half later).2)That He can elevated my implant by making three little slits under my implant and suttering them with dissovable stiches that would elevated the implant. It's done in sweaden and its the "sweadish method". I dont want any scars underneath my breast. Perhaps through my areola or through my armpit wear the implant was origanally placed through...

Barbed thread lift for breast sag

+2

I appreciate your concerns and your question.  Without a photo and not knowing how far you are out from surgery, I'm not sure this will address your question.

First of all, getting breast implants to address breast sag is not usually a good idea.  It can have good results in the short run, but after several years, the weight of the implants will cause them to fall with the breast and some women end up with a "rock-in-a-sock" phenomenon. If one breast has fallen more than the other, creating asymmetry, then it is difficult to pull it up with barbed thread lifts alone.

Many women would choose a breast with a good shape over size. Getting scars on your breasts is the price paid to get an uplifted more youthful appearing breast.  The downside is that scarring can be unpredictable and some women don't want scars on their breast at all.  The good news is that most scars fade in time, and when the scars have faded, a long-lasting good shape is what is remains.

If a women has extra skin on her breasts from having children or from weight loss, then it is difficult to get around that extra skin.  The extra skin has got to go.  The most predictable way to address this is with a mastopexy, aka breast lift with incisions on the breast.

I am sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I I don't want to give you the impression of false hope.  Certainly, return to your surgery and seek a second opinion in your area if necessary.  I wouldn't invest too much time, money, and energy pursuing options that don't have time-proven results.

Best of luck.

Sounds like you are describing a capsullorhaphy

+1

It sounds like you are describing a breast pocket that is too low that needs to be repaired.  This can be done through an incision around your areola.  It is theoretically possible that it can be done through the armpit incision but it would be very difficult to do so well.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Achieving breast symmetry

+1

Breast asymmetry can occur in many forms and degrees. Apparently you have breast implants. If the nipple/areolar complexes are fairly even, then replacing one of the implants with one that matches the other breast would be the best way with your request to have no scar underneath the breast. Another possiblility would be liposuction of the one that is too large or even fat grafts to the small one by someone with a history of success with this procedure. If they look pretty even now with minimal descrepancy, you may want to leave them alone. You have to weigh the risk: reward factor by being well informed.

If the nipples are not close to being even horizontally, an uplift of the lower one will be necessary, and this will leave a visible scar, although sometimes it is inconspicuous. The latter cannot be promised, however. I know nothing about the Swedish method, but I would urge you to see a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

E. Ronald Finger, MD, FACS

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

It sounds like you have bottomed out

+1

Sometimes the implant pocket descends making the breast implant lower on one side, causing asymmetry.  This almost always has to be fixed surgically with a scar on the breast or areola.  Aside from this, asymmetry after an otherwise uncomplicated breast augmentation is usually directly proportional to the degree of asymmetry present in the pre-augmented breasts.  The breasts are rarely if ever completely symmetric.  This natural asymmetry has to do with the shape of the chest wall, width of breast base and position of the nipple on the breast.  Usually, the only thing that can be safely surgically corrected is the position of the nipple.  Without photos and a proper exam one cannot give relevant advise.  You should obviously discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Implant Asymmetry

+1

It is impossible to achieve exact symmetry after implant surgery.  Breasts are like snowflakes, no 2 breasts are alike, even on the same person.

With implant surgery we try very hard to make the breasts as even as possible.  Unfortunately, implants and breasts do change with time due to stretching of the skin, weight loss and gain, pregnancy and breast feeding.  Sometimes an excellent result immediately after the procedure changes and a revision procedure is necessary.

It appears one of your implants has "bottomed out", the skin has stretched and the implant now sits in a lower position on your chest wall.  You have two options, raise the lower implant or lower the other implant.  Most women will choose to raise the lower implant.  This can be performed with an external incision all the way under the breast (external Ryan approach) or internal suturing through a smaller incision under the breast or around the nipple/areola (internal Ryan approach).  Named after a plastic surgeon from Baltimore.

Basically, we are talking about controlling the position of the inframammary crease.  It is far easier to control with direct access incisions (inframammary or peri-areolar) rather than remote access incisions (armpit or belly button).  I place implants with all the incision choices and perform a lot of revision procedures similar to your problem.  NONE of the women complain about the small scar used for the correction, it is a very small price to pay to get the implants even.

Talk to your PS about these choices and see if he/she will work with you about the cost of the secondary procedure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Important to understand options and Realistic Goals before revision surgery

+1

Hi there-

Without knowing more about your situation, like what you looked like before surgery, the details of your procedure, and what you look like now, it is very difficult to give you good advice, or even answer your question...

On the other hand, I think it is very important for you to understand that depending on your preoperative appearance, it may not be possible to achieve complete symmetry until and unless you are in need of a breast lift (with scars on the breasts).

Give your surgeon some credit for wanting you to be happy and advising you well- he/she knows better than any of us on this site what has been done to you so far and what might work to improve an imperfection.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Treatment for "bottoming out"

+1
It sounds like one of your implants has "bottomed out" The pocket on this side is lower and can be treated by a variety of techniques, from open surgery to minimally invasive techniqies. The less invasive, the lower the success rate is the general theme. Best of luck Dr Delvecchio Bostonbreastcenter.com

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD

Limited options for revision after axillary placement of breast implants

+1
Unfortunately there are very limited options for revision surgery after breast implants are placed through the armpit (axilla). It sounds like one of your implants has dropped. The suture method is probably the best thing to try and should not leave much of a scar. If it doesn't work then you would need a capsulorrhaphy with a periareolar or inframammary incision.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+1
without the benefit of a more complete history and photographs to get a more complete understanding of the issue, I will assume that one implant is lower than the other. If this is the case and your breasts were relatively symmetrical to begin with, then procedure to tighten the breast implant capsule may be beneficial in improving the implant position and overall symmetry. This sounds like the procedure you were told about, not sure about the "Swedish" explanation though. You are correct that wearing a certain type of bra at this point will not alter your implant position. You may want to consider seeking a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Are there ways of acheiving symmetry without external scars?

+1

Hi Jen, The answer  to your question is yes, but it depends on the situation. It might be possible to suture the pocket  to elevate the implant using a peri areolar incision.  Pls discuss this approach with your PS.  Good Luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon