Is There Anything That Can Make Uneven Eyes and Eyebrows Look Not As Obvious? (photo)

Hello, a few years ago now I noticed I had uneven eyes and eyebrows. In fact a lot of my face is asymmetrical but I mostly am more self concious about the eyes. I am supposed to wear glasses which at first I thought might hide it, but made it worse as it made them look wonky (even though they were on level). I keep feeling more self concious about it as people point it out now and then and makes me feel a little sad. I know there's probably nothing I can do but was worth a shot I guess! I'm 20.

Asymmetric eyes and eyebrows.

+2

A variable amount of facial asymmetry exists in the majority of people and is considered to fall within normal limits.  More severed degrees of facial asymmetry are typically due to various congenital facial defomrities such as hemifacial microsomia.  The underlying issue can be a result of asymmetric underlying bone structure or soft tissue volume or both.  A variety of surgical procedures are available to camouflage the asymmetry including:  1) facial bone reshaping or repositioning, 2) facial implants, 3) facial fat grafting, 4) differential soft tissue lifting or resuspension procedures such as browlifting, blepharoplasty and facelfiting.  Visit an experienced facial plastic surgeon to determine the best options for your situation.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven eyes and brows

+2

The easiest and best thing to do for you is to lower your left brow a bit with a small dose of Botox. That should deal with the most obvious asymmetry.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven orbits

+2

The first thing that I would like to mention is that facial asymmetry, and eye asymmetry is quite normal. Most people have some degree of asymmetry. So you should not feel sad or self conscious about this.

Your asymmetry is due to the orbit [eye socket] position:  your right eye socket is slightly lower than your left eye socket. As such, the soft tissue will follow the bony anatomy, so your right eye and eyebrow are lower than the left.

Unfortunately, there is no effective surgical answer to this problem. Some might say that an attempt can be made to raise the right eyelid surgically. This would involve getting a browlift. However, this can potentially lead to an even, or unnatural appearing lift, and certainly would not address the eye itself.

One avenue you might try, which is reversible is botox. The muscles that lower the right eyebrow can be weakened, and the muscles that elevated the left eye could be weakened so as to match the eyebrows a bit more. This may improve asymmetry, not eliminate it.

I would recommend getting treatment by an experienced injector. The botox itself may give you unnatural appearance if overdone. The good news is that it is a temporary treatment so that if you are not happy with it, at 3-4 months it will fade.

With time, I think you will accept this asymmetry as your unique self.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Modest asymmetry the rule not the exception around the eyelids.

+1

The asymmetry in the picture is extremely modest. It certainly falls within the range is of normal. I don't think there's any treatment indicated.