Since there are two methods of otoplasty (less invasive), does that mean the less invasive method is more likely to "not work?"

Since there are two methods of otoplasty (less invasive), does that mean the less invasive method is more likely to "not work?

+1
I would ask to see before and after pictures using whatever method.  I would then ask about relapse rate.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who regularly performs ear correction surgeries. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

+1
Hello Will12lo,
If you mean the stitch method when you talk about “less invasive method”, then I can inform you that the results of the stitch method are just as long-lasting as those of the traditional methods. The longest-lasting results of the stitch method are now 18 years old, which suggest that the ears will no return to their pre-operative position after this time.
The relapse rate (the frequency of the ears protruding again) with the stitch method is signifcantly lower than with the traditional methods. It is only approximately 5 per cent. Thinning, scoring and/or cutting the ear cartilage are no longer necessary with the stitch method.
The stitch method thus has considerably fewer risks than the traditional methods. Ears can be quickly and simply corrected.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty technique

+1

Otoplasty techniques vary. 

Relapse - loss of repair - occurs 20% of the time in adults, because of the toughness of the cartilage. A second operation is needed.

Techniques include thinning and scoring the ear cartilage, cutting the cartilage or both. Thick, hard cartilage usually has to be cut and scored to get a good shape.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD