Is there a non-surgical treatment for capsular contracture? (photo)

Uninsured, 64 year-old woman, with 25 year old silicone implants. Experiencing contracture in right breast. Moderate pain/discomfort. Would prefer non-surgical treatment, if possible.

Capsular contracture with 25-year-old implants probably will require reoperation.

+2
Capsular contracture does not demand correction but there is nothing nonsurgical that would be advised to treat capsular contracture was 25-year-old implants.

Non-surg

+1
There is a new ultrasound based system that is becoming available and the early results are ok, if you are having pain it is probably best to have this treated surgically to ensure it is only capsular contracture

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Correction of capsular contracture requires surgery

+1
Thank you for your question.  In the past a procedure called closed capsulotomy was done to release capsular contraction by squeezing firmly on the breast.  However this practice has been abandoned because of the risk of rupture of the breast implant.  Please see a plastic surgeon for  consultation for an open capsulectomy.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Is there a non-surgical treatment for capsular contracture?

+1
I am sorry to hear about the capsular contraction you are experiencing. Unfortunately, there is no nonsurgical method to reverse the process. Given your history, situation, and symptoms, you will be best off undergoing revisionary breast surgery.  Exactly what operation is recommended, will vary from one patient to another, mainly depending on your goals. I would not be surprised if an underlying silicone gel breast implant rupture is found.  You may find the attached link, demonstrating similar situations helpful to you. Best wishes.

Contractures with aged gel implants

+1
are best managed with removal and capsulectomy.  If you want to keep the implants regardless, then a lift could be done to help improve your look.  Due to the age and type of implant you have, I wouldn't waste time with a MRI as you are more than likely, ruptured and removing them would be the best thing at this time and if affordable, removing the capsule if thick and having a lift if desiring perkier.

Curtis Wong, MD

25 years out needs evaluation

+1
If the implants are becoming hard you need to be seen by a plastic surgeon.  If you do not want surgery you at least need an MRI to rule out rupture.  It is unlikely that non-surgical methods will work at this point.  Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

+1
You can not expect 25 year old implants to respond to anything for capsule formation BUT surgery! Seek IN PERSON opinions and prepare for surgery..... 

Capsular contracture

+1
Sorry to hear about your capsular contracture.  My concern would be why you are having a CC after so many years?  The most likely reason is that your implant has ruptured and therefore needs to be replaced.  I'm not saying your in danger or disease or cancer due to a ruptured implant, but if the silicone gel migrates toward your underarms, you will have additional deformity.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1
In my humble opinion the answer is NO, particularly when your implants have been in place for twenty five years. More than likely your implants are silicone gel which is what we were using back then. The chances of a rupture with these implants was greater than 50% at fifteen years out from the original surgery. The chances of rupture continued to go up exponentially with each successive year. In my opinion your implants are more likely than not ruptured. The capsule contracture formed may have even been caused by inflammation from the ruptured implants. In any case, the definitive test to detect silicone gel implant rupture is an MRI. MRI of the breast may cost up to $1500. I would not get an MRI in your case but would strongly suggest that you have the implants removed and replaced. Its been too long. You will probaly need a breast lift in addition.

I would encourage you to seek out a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery that has years of experience in dealing with this issues. Good. Luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Non surgical treatment of capsular contracture

+1
Thank you for your question about non-surgical treatment of your breast implant capsular contracture.

Although pressure around the capsule can rupture it (closed capsulotomy), at 20 years your implants will be changing and be more likely to rupture if this is done. It is not advised. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD