Is There Any Surgical Procedure to Stop the Production of Breast Milk to Save the Look of my Implants?

Hello, doctors. I am 22 yrs. old considering breast augmentation the only thing holding me back is the likely chance of children and the effects it will have on my breast. Is there any way I can stop this from happening? I was considering an areola insicion for this I don't want to pay all this money for the likely chance of ruining them I don't plan nor would like to breast feed in the future. Thank you for your help.

Breast Augmentation: There is no way of predicting how your breast tissue will respond to the hormones of pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. There is no way of predicting with any certainty how your breast tissue will respond to the hormones of pregnancy.  If your breasts don't increase significantly in size and you don't have a large amount of weight gain, then your odds are more favorable for having little change. It also depends on how much of your own breast tissue you have right now. If you have little breast tissue, then it might not make much of a difference.  If you already have a B cup or larger of your own tissue, then that tissue can grow and your breasts can sag afterward.

The only way to know for sure is to wait until after children before having breast augmentation. It's up to you.

Pregnancy and breast shape

+1

Pregnancy may or may not effect the final result of your implants.  It is hard to predict how the breast will react to pregnancy.

Procedure to prevent lactation?

+1

No, there is no procedure available to prevent lactation after pregnancy.  Unfortunately, even the medications which were used previously to dry up breast milk have been shown to be too risky.  High-dose estrogen treatment puts the patient at risk for blood clots, and bromocriptine (Parlodel) increases the risk of heart attack or stroke.  The best thing to do is to never start breast-feeding.  Without stimulation the breast will stop producing milk on its own within a few weeks post-partum.  The hardest time to get through is the first week when breast engorgement and the associated discomfort are at their peak.  Over the counter medications such as ibuprofen and naproxen, cold compresses, and a good support bra help relieve some of the discomfort.

That is all that is available at this time.  Maybe, by the time it is an issue for you, your Obstetrician will have something more to offer.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon