Are There Any Non-surgical Alternatives to Labiaplasty?

Are there are any health related reasons not to have a labiaplasty?

Non-surgical alternatives to labiaplasty

+1

Thank you for your two questions.

It is not possible to achieve the type of results that can be achieved with a surgical labiaplasty using any type of injectable or filler.

When considering non-surgical alternatives to labiaplasty it's necessary to know what the reason you are considering labiaplasty is. If you are considering labiaplasty because you experience discomfort when wearing tight clothing or riding a bike then there are certainly alternatives - after all, men have much greater reason to experience genital discomfort from tight clothing or riding a bike, and they don't seek genital reduction surgery. Choosing to alter your clothing is an alternative that carries few risks.

If you are considering labiaplasty because someone has made a negative comment about your genital appearance then you may find it useful to examine the wide range of normal appearances of female genitalia. Put the term the "Great Wall of Vagina" into your preferred search engine and look at the 10 montages that English artist Jamie McCartney has created from the genitals of hundreds of women. You may be surprised and reassured to discover that your labia are quite normal. 

Are there any health related reasons not to have a labiabplasty? There are few common medical conditions that are a contraindication to having a labiaplasty. People with body dysmorphic disorder and other psychological illnesses would do well to see a psychologist or psychiatrist before proceeding to surgery. If you have uncontrolled diabetes this will put you at increased risk of infection; achieving tight diabetic control is advised before undertaking the surgery. I would also recommend against surgery if you have severe cardiac or respiratory problems, or if you are on medications that significantly impact upon your immune system, such as after an organ transplant. Due to the risk of bleeding and bruising I do not recommend this surgery for women who need to take anticoagulant medications such as warfarin/coumadin. I do not advise women who have a history of vulval carcinoma-in-situ or vulval carcinoma to undergo cosmetic labiaplasty. Women who have recurrent genital sores (eg herpes simplex) may experience an exacerbation of problems after labiaplasty; women should not undergo labiaplasty while they have thrush or an outbreak of genital herpes. Pregnant women should not undergo labiaplasty.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical labiaplasty

+1

It is difficult to provide any alternatives to surgery for a labiaplasty without a physical exam. However, if the primary concern is excess labial tissue, then surgery is your best option. 

Labialplasty

+1

There are no non-surgical methods to reduce the size of the labia. The risk of pain from scarring is potential risk and the only reason i can think of not to have it performed

Non-surgical alternatives to Labiaplasty

+1

Unfortunately, there are no non-surgical alternatives to labiaplasty or labia reduction surgery.  As with any surgical procedure, one should be in good overall health, not  smoke and avoid medications such as aspirin, which could cause bleeding, before considering a labiaplasty procedure.

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

+1

Depending on the concerns there are options for labiaplasty.  If there is atrophy or thinning of the labia majora or minor fat grafting or other fillers to restore volume may be an option.  

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Labia Reduction

+1

No, there are no nonsurgical alternatives to labia minora reduction  surgery.   It tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform from the physical discomfort as well as the aesthetic  standpoints.

There may be “health related reasons” not to have labiaplasty ( for any other type of elective plastic surgery)  such as  cardiac disease,  uncontrolled hypertension,  poorly controlled diabetes etc.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.