Is There a Stitch Poking Through my Skin After Rhinoplasty?

I think there is a plastic stitch poking through one side of my columnella. Its been 9 months since my surgery and every other week or so I get a "pimple" in the same place on the side of my columnella, soreness, redness, pain, pussing, and also the surrounding area of my nose hurts. I thought it was a pimple or an ingrown hair, but I can feel the tip through my skin with my fingernails or tweezers and its hard plastic. The problem comes and goes. Could it be a permanent stitch? What can I do?

Sutures remaining after rhinoplasty

+1

Stitches are always used during rhinoplasty. They are usually both permanent and temporary. Permanent sutures are often made of nylon and are used inside the nose to fix or alter cartilage or outside to close skin incisions. These incisions are usually either just below the nose in the fleshy part between the nostrils or at the side of the nose in the crease between the nostril and the lip. If a skin suture remains, it will eventually become infected and there will be periodic redness, swlling and pain until it is removed.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitch from rhinoplasty

+1

It is very possible that you have a stitch where you are feeling this "pimple."  It is best to check with your surgeon.

Nose Irritation by a 9 month old Stitch

+1

Surgeons often use long lasting dissolving or permanent stitches to hold structures in place as the scar process finally stabilizes them. Although most such stitches pose no problems they occasionally come to the surface ("spit sutures"). Removing them is usually straight forward and corrects the problem. Please, see your surgeon. I'm sure he would know what to do.

Stitch poking after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hello. It is hard to tell without pictures or an exam. I would recommend you contact your surgeon to be sure that it is just a simple stitch that was left in and needs to be removed, rather then something else. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Stitch Poking Through After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without examining your nose – you should discuss your concerns with your doctor.  If a permanent stitch is exposed it should be removed, and after 9 months, removal should not affect the shape of your nose.

Sam Naficy, MD

Exposed Stitch in Columella

+1

As you suggest, an exposed permanent stitch is probably causing the irritation. Nine months after surgery it can be removed by your surgeon without having any effect on your result.