Is There a Specific Model of a Nose That is Followed for Rhinoplasty?

For example, in the 70's and 80's, the "ski slope" nose was usually given to individuals. Now, to me, it seems like there is an ideal nose that is perfectly straight in the bridge, and a small, refined ball for a tip. Is there a model nose that changes with time?

The "ideal" nose

+3

This is an excellent question.  There are well described anatomic "ideals" you can find in a text book.  They are a complex compilation of angles and measurements of both the nose and how it fits on the face.  While these numbers are important to know and understand, each face is an individualized artistic part of your face and must be treated that way.  I use a 3D imaging machine in my office so I can mold a person's nose digitally before doing it surgically.  That way, both the patient and I can see the results and know the goal we are trying to achieve.  I highly recommend photo imaging before any nasal surgery. 

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an ideal nasal profile for rhinoplasty

+2

Interestingly, there are scientific models for nasal aesthetics that make use of cephalometrics and aesthetic units of the face.  I employ these when planning a rhinoplasty. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty, for 25 years, and this is an excellent question.  In the 80's and 90's many of the "ski-slope", "overly-thinned"noses were apparent and IMHO represented an overall lack of aesthetic judgement on what a naturally, attractive nose looked like.

Today, the trend in Rhinoplasty as well as plastic and cosmetic surgery, in general, is a less "stark" or "drastic" change favoring instead a refined and naturally more attractive nose, face and body.  It is paramount for patients to understand that there is no aesthetic standard that is taught during Rhinoplasty training or in plastic and cosmetic surgery training IMO.  That's why it is important to find a surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics (as outlined in my "Palmer Code") of nasal, facial and body beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive appearance.  Experience performing the procedure is simply not enough.

Rhinoplasty should look natural, like rhinoplasty was not done.

+2

Hi.

There are ideals, and they vary with gender and with the shape of the face.  To me, the most important thing is that the nose looks like it fits the particular face.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Is there an ideal model of a nose?

+2

There are standard canons of nasal beauty and ideal aesthetics. That said, not everyone finds these dimesnions ideal for their particluar face. Typically the ideal dimensions are discussed and incorporated with the patients personal desires to develop a treatment plan. This proposed plan can then be digitally created from the patients's photo to ensure the patient likes the proposed result.  In summary, there is no one model nose that a rhinoplasty surgeons uses.  Every face is different, and therefore every nose may be different to ideally fit each face.

Stephen B. Baker, MD
Mclean Plastic Surgeon

Is there a specific model of a nose that is followed for rhinoplasty?

+1

While it is true that the style of noses in the field of rhinoplasty have changed over the decades, most surgeons in the last 20 years have been performing straighter stronger profiles and more natural-appearing tips.  The important part of rhinoplasty is to perform surgery on a nose that does not appear to be surgically altered and that balances with the patient’s facial features.

The perfect nose?

+1

There is no one perfect or ideal nose that is used as a model for rhinoplasty surgery. This is because no two people are the same and as a surgeon my goal is to try to make the best nose possible that suits the patient's goals.  I take care of people of all different ethnicities, and my goal is to preserve their ethnicity but yet achieve the improvement that they desire.

Model rhinoplasty

+1

The result from rhinoplasty varies depending on the surgeon's aesthetic sense of what looks good as well as their technical skill.  To get an idea of the type of results the surgeon gets, look at many examples of their photos and look for examples that are similar to you.  Not everyone agrees on what type of,nose looks the best so choose a surgeon whose results you really like and you will increase the probability that you will be happy with your result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

The ideal nasal contour is completely subjective

+1

The best looking nose is the one that the patient like the best. When it comes to great rhinoplasty surgeons, a true aesthetic eye is important. There is no "ideal" nose...as everyone's anatomy is different.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS