There is a Small Section of the Upper Lid That Isn't Completely Closed. Should I Worry?

It has been one week since my surgery and two days since the stitches were removed. On one upper lid, there is a small section that hasn't closed. Is this normal? I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow. Also, the bottom lids are sort of hard where the knots in the sutures were, is this an issue?

See your surgeon, take proper post-op care

+1

Keep your follow up appointments and let your surgeon know about your concerns. It may be that the swelling and inflammation are what you are noticing. Over time, the swelling and inflammation should soften and disappear (this may take a couple weeks). In the meantime, proper post-operative care is important for a smooth recovery.

See your surgeon

+1

Post op care is quite important and your surgeon would be displeased if you didn't contact him/her with these problems. If a wound is not healing properly, early intervention is key. Call your doctor today.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Care for upper eyelid incisions.

+1

It is always best to return to your plastic surgeon about any concerns.  Options, if there is an opening, is to let it close on its own or to re-suture the area with some fast absorbing sutures which would be gone in a few days.  This allows the edges of the tissue to re-adhere.  The hardness you feel on your bottom lids is entirely normal and will gradually fade with time.  Patience will pay off.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Dehisence (Separation) of Upper Eyelid Incision 2 Days After Stitch Removal

+1

Hi Anna,

Yes, you should visit the surgeon.  It sounds as if there is a dehisence (separation) of the wound, which most likely would benefit from being re-sutured for a few days.  The "hardness" of the skin where the sutures were can be normal, and resolves with time.  Enjoy the new lids.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Blepharoplasty at one week after surgery

+1

Sometimes with swelling the eyes do not close too well during the early post-op period.  If you have concerns, you should contact your surgeon.

Eyelid Open After Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)

+1

Dear Frodo's Mom:

Surgery is a form of injury, and while it is still the best way to address excess upper eyelid skin, it takes a little time to heal. If you were a year out from surgery, the eye remaining open, even in a small area, could be a problem. The opening can cause the eye to become dry, especially at night. Since you are a week out from surgery, the same thing can happen, but it is likely to resolve in the next few weeks.

While waiting for the eyelid to close normally, be certain your surgeon is aware of this. You may benefit from using an eye ointment at night, and drops during the day, especially if the eye feels dry or like there is sand in it. As long as you have a normal Bell's reflex (your doctor should know what this is) your cornea is protected. If you don't have a normal Bell's reflex, there is a greater risk of the eye drying out in an area that can cause problems with vision.

The function of the eyelids is to protect and provide moisture to your eye. The most important thing for now is to be certain that your eye remains moist. The lower lid knots from the sutures should resolve in the next few weeks, but I have not examined you, so you are better off getting the opinion of your surgeon.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

These are likely to be normal early issues after eyelid surgery.

+1

Anna

Unfortunately surgery takes time to heal.  Swelling and inflammation after surgery leads to a number of issues that often soften and disappear with time.  It is normal to have these issues.  At a week things that are a problem may very well resolve after a few weeks.  Consider reposting your question with a photograph.  Contacting your surgeon for a follow up visit so he or she can evaluate what is going on is a good idea.