Is There Any Risk if I Get the Implants with Just Knowing the Results from an Ultrasound? Is a Biopsy Necessary?

I am 20 years old getting breast implants and recently found a lump on my left breast, I went ahead and had an ultrasound done after getting my results back i was told it was a fibroadenoma and most likely benign but not 100% sure . My surgery is schedule in about three weeks and im not sure what to do.

Fibroadenoma and Planned Breast Augmentation?

+1

You are correct in that it is necessary to be completely sure that the breast lesion is benign prior to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery. In the case of fibroadenomas, this can usually be determined based on clinical examination and radiography, without the need for biopsy.

Keep in mind, that if the fibroadenoma is close to the planned incision line for the breast augmentation procedure and is palpable, it could potentially be removed at the same time.  Discuss this option with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.

Breast lump before augmentation

+1

If your doctor is not 100% sure that lump is a fibroadenoma, then you need a biopsy prior to your augmentation.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Breast health issues should be completely cleared up before undergoing breast augmentation.

+1

A fibroadenoma is benign breast condition. Whether or not to proceed with breast biopsy is a decision made by a surgeon who specializes in breast health issues. The should be addressed prior to undergoing a breast augmentation.

Fibroadenoma and BA

+1

Discuss this case with your plastic surgeon and a breast cancer surgeon.  Fibroadenomas are characteristic masses that can be easily enucleated.  A good option is to have your plastic surgeon decide on an approach for the augmentation, he can start the case and either he or the general surgeon can biopsy the mass.  After the mass is removed, the augmentation can be completed.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasound Findings Prior to Implants

+1

Prior to your Breast Augmentation, have a biopsy or get a medical clearance.  It is best to be 100 % sure all is well before undergoing your cosmetic breast surgery.  Discuss this with your breast surgeon as well as your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Biopsy is the only way to truly diagnose breast lumps

+1

Just so that you know the facts, a biopsy is the only way to truly know for sure what a breast lump really is.  Ultrasound appearance helps, as does your history, like the fact that you are a very young girl with a lump, and statistically that is most likely to be a fibroademoma.  But none of that changes the fact that there is still a chance, probably a very, very low chance, that it is something else.  What this boils down to is a decision that you and your surgeon should make together, and you'll just have to know that if you decide to go through with the surgery without a biopsy, which in my opinion may be a completely reasonable thing to do in a young girl like you with these findings, you are accepting that very small possibility that this is something other than a fibroadenoma.  In that case you would just observe the lump and notice any changes, and if it did change, you could get a biopsy at that time.  It's kind of like playing the odds just a little, and it all depends on your comfort level and the recommendations of your surgeon.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Is There Any Risk if I Get the Implants with Just Knowing the Results from an Ultrasound?

+1

Best to discuss with your breast doctor and your plastic surgeon. At your age and with the ultrasound finding, this is close to certainty that this is benign. But this is likely to be more easily palpable and perhaps noticeable with implants. Chances are this will be excised for biopsy at some time, so now may be the best time. It may be that your plastic surgeon can to this at the same time as placing implants. 

All the best. 

+1

Well, there is SOME risk unless they can tell you 100% that it's just a fibroadenoma - which is overwhelmingly the likely diagnosis for someone in your age range and with this presentation.  To be completely certain, however, you would need to have a biopsy.  You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon and with your breast surgeon.  Having a benign mass is not necessarily a contraindication to having breast implants - but it does complicate the decision-making process.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS