Is There a Risk of Secondary Sweating from Miradry?

That should not occur

+2

Compensatory hyperhidrosis (sweating more in non-treated areas as a result of treatment) has not been reported to have occurred following miraDry treatments, and has not been reported to us from any of the patients that we have treated in our office in Houston, TX.  We perform this procedure fairly often, and it is very effective in doing what it is supposed to do: stop underarm sweating.  You will be pleased with the results.  I hope that is of assistance to you in your decision.  

Houston Dermatologist

Compensatory hyperhidrosis and Miradry in Los Angeles

+1

Compensatory hyperhidrosis is generally not noticed in patients with Miradry treatment.  Although, hyperhidrosis is a difficult condition and almost anything can occur with or without Miradry treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

MiraDry and secondary sweating

+1

Only one case of secondary sweating, also known as compensatory hyperhidrosis, has been reported out of the thousands of miraDry procedures performed to date.  Given the nature of the miraDry procedure, which uses microwave technology to non-invasively eliminate sweat glands, as opposed to invasive surgical procedures that sever nerve connections, compensatory hyperhidrosis is highly unlikely and is a very rare event with miraDry.

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/miradry.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and compensatory sweating

+1

Although compensatory sweating is a risk, it has not been reported with the MiraDry procedure. Our bodies contain over 4 million sweat glands, with only about 2% glands located in the underarms. Eliminating this 2% will not affect the body’s ability to properly cool itself.
Aesthetic Solutions is one of the first physician offices in the U.S. to offer the miraDry® Procedure, a new lifestyle choice that provides a safe and lasting solution for underarm sweat. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration cleared the miraDry System following a robust, randomized, blinded clinical study that involved 120 patients at seven clinics across the U.S. and followed them for 12 months post treatment. The procedure is supported by compelling safety and efficacy data from multiple clinical studies with recent clinical data showing 90 percent efficacy and 90 percent patient satisfaction.

The miraDry procedure takes approximately one hour. The miraDry procedure delivers precisely-controlled electromagnetic energy to the area under the arm where the sweat glands reside, and heats and eliminates the sweat glands. Since sweat glands do not regenerate, results are lasting.  The procedure is non-invasive with little to no downtime, so patients can go about their normal routines after treatment. The full treatment plan requires two procedures to maximize results.

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and ''secondary sweating" has been described in 1 patient so far

+1

We are aware of at least 1 case reported to the company (Miramar) about compensatory sweating in a patient who had the miraDry procedure by a physician in NY City.

I have taken care of hyperhidrosis patients since 1999 in a comprehensive Center for Exessive Sweating and provide every type of treatment for hyperhidrosis. I have seen patients develop compensatory sweating with the use of Hypercare (rare, but it does happen). I have seen patients develop compensatory sweating with Botox injection in the underarms (rare, but it can happen). I have seen groin sweating in someone who was being treated with oral Robinul (rare, bt it happens).

So, compensatory sweating is most well described with ETS but it can rarely happen with other procedures.

Having said that, miraDry is an excellent procedure if you are looking for definitive treatment for an annoying problem and compensatory sweating can occur but is very very unlikely after the miraDry procedure.

Web reference: http://www.EliminateSweating.com

Buffalo General Surgeon