Is There a Risk in Using the Original Implant for a Correction to an Infected Breast?

Hi, I had breast augmentation on 1/2/12 and quickly developed a MRSA staph infection. My surgeon put me on an antibiotic that got rid of the infection in a few weeks, but the infected breast developed capsular contracture and now the he is going to do a second surgery to fix it. He said that I could either put the same implant back in or pay for a new implant to be used. Should I be worried about the original implant still having an infection on it and causing more complications? Thank you!

Using original Implant in revision?

+1

It would be poor judgement to use the same implant. Resterilizing it in an autoclave could weaken the shell making it more prone to failure. Use a new implant.

Reuse implant

+1

there is no way to know for sure if reusing the old implant will increase the risk of further problems, but why risk it?  I would definitely not use an implant again if it was involved in a case that became infected. It should be discarded and a new one used.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Using the Original Implant for a Correction to an Infected Breast

+1

Sorry to hear about your complications. Yes, you should use a new implant. The greater question is whether you should remove the implant from the infected breast and wait or do the exchange immediately. In person exam and consultation would be necessary to answer this question.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Is There a Risk in Using the Original Implant

+1

GREAT question! In your case only a new implant should be used in my opinion. But that is me. And Yes you are responsible for costs of implant. Sorry for your issues. 

Capsule and implant

+1

If you developed a capsulate contracture, then it is probably best to remove the implant, and capsule and place a new implant.  SOme would recommend staging it, some would also recommend strattice for recurrent capsules.

Breast implants after infection

+1

Thanks for your question -

Any infection (especially MRSA - an infection that is resistant to many antibiotics) can be challenging for a breast augmentation patient and capsular contracture is a common post-infection issue.

Most plastic surgeons would advocate switching the implant for a new one.  Some might even advocate doing the procedure in stages.  The concern is residual bacteria or "microfilm" on the implant that puts you at significantly higher risk for recurrent capsular contracture.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Capsular Contracture After Wound Infection

+1

A new implant is the only way to be certain that you are not replacing the old bacteria that caused the capsule in the first place.  Most surgeons would also do a complete removal of the scar tissue to eliminate any small residue of bacteria that could create an inflammatory stimulus of a capsule.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Capsule contracture after infection

+1

There is a possibility that your capsule contracture could recurr after any type of procedure.  Using a new implant would lessen the chance as would completely removing the capsule (total capsulectomy) or moving the implant to a new site, either under the muscle or fascia.  An addition consideration to lower the chance of recrrence would be to add an acellular dermal matrix (stattice), but this significantly adds to the cost.  In the long run, the additional cost may be less than the total costs if the capsule should recurr.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Capsule contracture, infection, and new implants

+1

Capsule contracture is excessive scar tissue buildup secondary to prolonged inflammation or in your case an infection.  Secondary to both your history of infection as well as to your current capsule contracture I would recommend using a new implant.  Although you may be able to get away with using the old implant you would really not want to risk a recurrence of the infection or of the capsule contracture.  Depending on what your plastic surgeon see's when he/she gets in there he/she might want to consider:

-full capsulectomy

-new implant

-temporary drain.

Remus Repta, MD

Remus Repta, MD

Change Implant After MRSA Infection

+1

I would not use the original implant, especially after an MRSA infection.  I would also advise that the implant be moved to a different pocket to lessen the chance of a recurrent capsular contracture.

John Whitt, MD