Is There Any Way to Get Rid of a Scar from Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty done a year ago via columella incision but my doctor did a terrible job at stitching and I was left with a large scar that's very visible. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the scar? Any effective laser treatments or re-cutting to re-stitch the area? Anything that can be done. What are my options? Thank you

Is There Any Way to Get Rid of a Scar from Rhinoplasty?

+1

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. At 12 months, the scar is mature and there are several options that are available to you. The first would be a scar excision with careful meticulous closure. I always break up incisions in the columella in a non-linear fashion so that the scar looks more inconspicuous once it has healed. Since a scar already exists, breaking it up is no longer an option and a simple meticulous scar excision with careful closure would be the best option.Also, you specifically ask about laser treatments and there are 2 options available to you. I have extensive experience using both a fractionated CO2 laser as well as a VBeam Pulse-Dye Laser for many issues including scars which range from traumatic scars to acne scars. We have had great results treating scars using a combination of these technologies. I would suggest you consult with someone who has these technologies at their disposable and who also does scar revisions so that you can get a comprehensive recommendation. In simple terms, the CO2 laser is a resurfacing laser that would help smoothen out the scar line which appears to be depressed. The VBeam PDL is a laser that targets the color red. As you can see your scar is red and PDL treatments may help lighten the color and make it less noticeable. Ultimately, a combination of treatments may be the solution. The best way to get a comprehensive assessment would be to consult with a surgeon who does rhinoplasty and has both lasers at their disposition. Good luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are several ways to improve the look of the nose, but the scar would best be improved with a scar revision and precise approximation of tissue.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Unhappy with scars

+1

I can see your concern. I think that a simple scar revision should work. The scar is simply uneven and re-doing it should work. I do not think that laser will work.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/procedures/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty/