I Have Restylane in my Cheeks, but Want to Use Radiesse. How Do I Do This?

Hello there.I have restylane in my cheeks, but it is starting to dimish. I had quite a lot put in, and its going to leave a saggy face!!!I would like to use radiesse but i don't want to wait until the restylane is all gone. Is it ok to inject radiesse into the cheek where restylane may still be. Very grateful for an answer

Restylane and Radiesse in the Cheeks

+1

If you already have Restylane in your cheeks, there is no problem with adding Radiesse before the Restylane has been completely absorbed by your body. There will be no adverse effects if the two injections come in contact with each other. They can even be used within the same treatment procedure.

Radiesse is actually quite ideal for the enhancing the cheeks since it is able to provide structural support. In fact it is used for patients who are interested in achieving the appearance of higher cheek bones. Results last about a year.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Injecting Radiesse in Cheeks with Restylane

+1

It is smart to maintain the cheek contour you like as the Restylane absorbs. This can be done with Radiesse, which I prefer for cheek augmentation,  without any problems.

Combining Radiesse and Restylane

+1

You needn't wait for the restylane to dissolve...Radiesse can be injected in combination with restylane, and is often injected deeper, so they never really cross paths. Even if they were to cross paths, no issues...I have done this many times with no incident, as have many of my colleagues. Make sure to have a really experienced and trained injector for radiesse like a dermatologist since there is no antidote to dissolve it if you're unhappy with it in any way.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse after Restylane

+1

In our practice we frequently use multiple filler types in the same patient. Each filler has a different quality and indication and they are not bio incompatible. Thus I would recommend you present to your physician and discuss your desires to learn what is the optimal approach for you.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and radiesse

+1

It is not uncommon for physician injectors sometimes to use different products to provide voluem enhancement. I am not a big fan of Radiesse so I pretty much stick with the HA's.

+1

Radiesse or Perlane (my choice for cheek augmentation with a filler) can be placed even if you previously had Restylane in the same area.  Perlane and Radiesse are thicker fillers that are injected deeper into the tissues.  IMHO Perlane is the best for Cheek Augmentation using fillers.  I do use Radiesse but it is thicker and does have more swelling and lumpiness than Perlane... and this can last for up to 1 week.  

Remember that the results from  any filler used for facial shaping and comntouring are only as good as the aesthetic judgment of the MD doing the injections.  Be sure to find someone that understands and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.  

Understanding Radiesse vs Restylane

+1

I frequently combine Radiesse and Restylane injections in the same patient as they are used to accomplish different things. When comparing Radiesse to the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, it is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers”. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective for problems due to volume loss, and give longer-lasting results too. Hyaluronic acid gels like Juvederm or Restylane are used as wrinkle fillers because they are injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it. Simply put, these two types of fillers are usually not injected into the same places.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I get Radiesse After Restylane Injections

+1

Sure, they are not incompatible. Both molecules are highly biocompatible and they should not have any issue mixing. It is not like an oil and water mixture or, for the skin version, silicone and another filler.

I frequently use both fillers in the same patient when I want something thicker for sculpting or lifting (Radiesse) and another product for line filling (Restylane). That is the beauty of using multiple products for different goals.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Not sure why you would want to do that. Restylane is a far superior product.

+1

Radiesse is a calcium salt based product and has proven to be a useful fillers.  However, it lack an important attribute present in hyaluronic acid fillers-adjustability.  Hyaluronic acid fillers can be adjusted any time after the service until the body as removed all traces of the product.  An enzyme called hyaluronidase allows the hyaluronic acid filler to be broken down rapidly, literally in seconds of injection of the enzyme.  The enzyme treatment can be used to modify a prior hyaluronic acid filler service in a variety of ways.  One can feather a prior treatment to reduce a trace of fullness, or an area can be flooded with enzyme to remove and undesired treatment.  This flexibility to remove or modify a treatment is not available with any other filler including Radiesse.  I used Radiesse until the availability of Perlane, an hyaluronic acid filler related to Restylane.  Initially the manufacture of Radiesse suggested that the product could last 5 to 8 years.  If that had been the case, I could see the temptation to use the product.  However, the product does not last this long.  Instead, it appears to last for about a year more or less before the clinical effects of treatment dissipate.  However, if you get a lump or want a treatment adjustment for whatever reason, this is not possible with Radiesse.  You simply have to what until the product disappears.  

To the question can one mix these fillers, the answer is absolutely yes.

Mixing fillers

+1

There is no problem with layering two different fillers such as Restylane and Radiesse. This is assuming you really are a candidate for Radiesse! You can alternatively dissolve the Restylane completely to fill with Radiesse. However, I think each filler has a special place and creates minor subtle changes as compared to other products.

Please talk to your derm or plastic surgeon, and I am sure they will be happy to help you!

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist