Is There a Way to Reserve the Effect of Botox on Jawline?

Hi I got a Botox (Dysport) injection on my jaw line 2 weeks ago and I'm starting to notice my jaw line slimming down. I'm satisfied with the result, but I'm concerned because my friend told me that repeated process of Botox injection make your body tolerant to Botox and will not give me the same result as it did in the first place? Is this true?

Tolerance or resistance to botox is extremely rare

+1

It is very very rare for providers of cosmetic botox to see an immunity or tolerance develop to botox. The numbers of patients that physicians see who need to come in much more frequently that they did years ago when first having botox is very low.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox resistance

+1

Greetings~

If you like the results you have achieved from Botox in the masseter muscle, you shouldn't let a fear or worry about resistance disuade you from future treatment...quite the contrary actually.  If you keep up with a regular series of injections in that area the muscle will weaken with time and you may require less Botox less often.  If you go long periods between treatments the muscles will only have more time to strengthen in between and you'll be back to square one.  Resistance is rare in cosmetic patients.  If resistance is a concern for you, you can also try Xeomin, the newest Botulinum Toxin Type A.  It has less of a protein coat which should theoretically make it likely to cause resistance.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com

Is Botox resistance a concern?

+1

Although not common, Botox resistance does occur as evidenced by one of our staff members experience.  This potential should not be a concern if patients are avoiding a routine of frequent treatments that are not spaced at least three months apart.  

With regards to your specific question, it is important to follow the treatment plan that your injector outlined to maintain and receive optimal results for the Masseter muscle.  In our practice, the recommendation is another treatment close to four months after the initial one.  Once optimal results are achieved within the first year with 2 to 3 treatments, outcomes may be sustained for approximately 2-3 years.  

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/botoxInjections.aspx

+1

No, true resistance to neurotoxins is exrtremely rare.  You will get repeated results from the Botox injections.  Be sure the MD performing the Botox treatments understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty when slimming down the Masseter muscle.

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Your friend is wrong

+1

you can use Botox or Dysport repeatedly for many years. It is extremely rare to develop resistance to the drug. It should work the same for many many years.

Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox / Dysport for wide jaw line.

+1

I guess you could build up antibodies but I haven't seen this clinically. It's important to stick with intervals of 3 or more months between injections so that this isn't an issue. With the jaw line, I have had excellent results with Dysport as well as Botox. I prefer Dysport because it seems to last longer. Muscles undergo atrophy with not used. This is the case with the toxins and their effect. Therefore the treated muscle shrinks and this usually means less toxin needed at subsequent injections.  Plus I find that I can spread out the intervals more and more as time goes by. Stick with it, and feel your jaw muscles regularly so that you know if they are starting to increase voluntary contractions.  It's at that point you probably need another injection or at least a follow-up with your doctor.