Is There a Way to Remove Part of the Mole? Or Make It Smaller?

I have a black mole on my upper lips and I noticed that it became bigger with years. I like it but I dont like the size of it. Is there any way to make it smaller or remove partial of it?? And if so whats the best way. Thank you

Mole Removal, Partial or Biopsy

+1

Thank you for the interesting question. Any pigmented lesion, including those that have been present for a long time, that changes color or shape or size should be biopsied. This may include partial removal of the mole and pathology, but may require removal of the whole thing. In such cases, I recommend to my patients that we proceed with medically necessary treatment first, and then maximize the aesthetic outcome.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist to have the lesion evaluation and possibly biopsied.

Sam Naficy, MD

Partial mole removal

+1

If your mole is changing shape, you should have it looked at and biopsied. While I understand that 'aesthetically' you may like it, it's not usually the best when moles change or evolve over time and your primary concern shouldn't be reshaping it, but rather finding out if something is wrong with it.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD