Is There a Recommended Grade or Brand of Porcelain That is More Durable Than Others?

I have read a lot about composities, veneers, lumineers and crowns and have arrived at the decision to get porcelain veneers. However, I don't want to have to keep returning to the dentist because they chip, crack or fall off. Is there a recommended brand or grade that I should inquire about to ensure that my dentist is not using substandard material?

Type of veneers that are more durable than others

+1

Congrats on wanting to fix your smile.  The top porcelain brand currently is called e.max which is very strong and at the same time very natural looking. For the back teeth where appearance is not as much of an issue, a material called zirconium is very useful. It's extremely strong but it's not as esthetic as e.max, it tends to be somewhat opaque or chalky looking. Ask you dentist what material they are using

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Emax porcelain

+1

One of the "top" types of porcelain these days is emax porcelain.  It is one of the stronger porcelains made and also has a very strong bond strength (which means our "glue" works better).  This allows us to make long lasting porcelain crowns and onlays that have beautiful esthetics.

Bradley Matthew, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Is There a Recommended Brand of Porcelain for Veneers That is More Durable Than Others?

+1

There is a lot of information on the internet now about things like composites, crowns, and veneer materials. Some materials get advertised very heavily to dentists and to patients.

There are great materials out now. They are stronger than ever, so durability is really not a major concern. The strength of veneers come largely from the cosmetic dentist using a very precise design, the skill and precision of the cementing/adhesion process and the craftsmanship of the ceramist in actually forming the porcelain.

I think there is too much focus on the brand names and not enough focus on these other items. 

In the end, a durable, great looking result comes from a thoughtful plan. A great cosmetic dentist will listen to your concerns and then demonstrate to you how he is going to achieve that for you. A great cosmetic dentist will first make a wax design to see exactly how thick the porcelain needs to be in the critical areas.

Like any cosmetic dentistry procedure, ask your questions and listen for thoughtful, personalized answers. If you don't get that from the beginning, then keep searching for the right cosmetic dentist. There is no reason why you can't have reliable, long-lasting results.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Superior porcelain materials

+1

The top porcelain brand currently is called e.max which is very strong and at the same time very natural looking.  For the back teeth where appearance is not as much of an issue, a material called zirconium is very useful.  It's extremely strong but it's not as esthetic as e.max, it tends to be somewhat opaque or chalky looking. 

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Recommended Grade or Brand of Porcelain

+1

More important, you should research the cosmetic dentist you are going to use. If you use someone who is well established and well-trained and experienced in "cosmetic dentistry", then it will go without saying that he is using a qualified esthetic dental laboratory "onshore", that uses only quality porcelain. If you shop for a "cheap" dentist, you will get poor results no matter what porcelain he uses.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist