Are There Any Products That I Should Avoid After Undergoing Sclerotherapy?

How long should I avoid certain products/medications after sclerotherapy? What activities should be avoided (using steam room or hot tub etc.)

Care after sclerotherapy

+1
Every physician or surgeon who performs sclerotherapy follows a standard protocol and has a unique instruction set and it is important to  follow the one outlined to you by the performing physician. I recommend avoidance of sun for 3 months and compression stockings for 3 months. Others recommend stockings for 2 weeks.

Dr Mitchel Goldman (San Diego California), who I consider the guru when it comes to sclerotherapy, and who has written the best sclerotherapy book, recommends 2 weeks of stockings and this is based on his outcome studies. He als recommends topical steroid creme for a week or so and avoidance of sun exposure to minimize inflammation. 

I also recommend topical creams that minimize the hyperpigmentation that can occur with sclerotherapy. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Sun and hot baths.

+1

Following sclerotherapy I recommend wearing compression stockings for 48 hours.  I also recommend avoiding hot tubs or hot baths for 48 hours and also avoiding sun exposure until the areas treated with sclerotherapy heal and, if possible, avoid the sun all together.  I place no restrictions on exercise post sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

For post-care after sclerotherapy treatment, we always recommend that patients were compression stockings during their first 24 hrs after treatment and then for the 8 hours during their waking hours for the next 5 days.  During this time, we encourage that patients decrease their exercising activities and not take hot baths or go in to hot tubs.  

Sam Naficy, MD

What products are safe to use post sclerotherapy

+1

there are really no true restrictions on what you can use in terms of creams, lotions, self-tanners etc.  However, because the skin may be red, itchy and irritated post injection, one should  avoid any perfumed heavy creams.  Ideally you want to use mild products such as neutrogina or aveno. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy post treatment care

+1

I am fairly cautious after treatment so my standard protocol involves 7 days of wearing compression stockings, avoiding strenuous impact exercise and staying out of hot tubs and bath tubs.  At the same time encouraging at least 1/2 hour of walking per day and the application of Traumeel day after bathing to decrease inflammation and bruising.  I follow up with my patients at 1 week, 3 weeks and 6 weeks. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Local care after sclerotherapy

+1

I recommend to all my patients that they get some form of mild exercise such as walking the same day after their treatment. I believe the muscle activity is good for healing and improving any swelling. I do not feel it will adversely affect the results. Almost all normal activities, including regular skin care routines, can be resumed immediately, although I do recommend refraining from vigorous activities for the first 24 hours.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Post care for sclerotherapy

+1

I recommend that patients use only a mild cleanser (like Dove) and moisturizer (like Lubriderm) for the first few days after sclerotherapy. If there is any redness or itching (which is a common side effect of all the tiny injections), you can also apply cool water and then Hydrocortisone 1%, available cheaply from any pharmacy. I don't recommend highly perfumed lotions or scents.

Post treatment I don't recommend excercise, swimming, steam rooms, hiking hot tubs, etc. for a minimum of 24-48 hours.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD