Are There Some Plastic Surgeons That Specialize In African American Or Ethnic Rhinoplasty?

I am African American and have a wide, flat nasal bridge, and unrefined nasal tip. I would like a narrower nose and a refined tip. Due to the nature of my problem I was wondering should I search for a surgeon that has a lot of experience with ethnic nose jobs. Is this possible?

Here is a list of doctors that specialize in African American rhinoplasties

Hope this helps!
Lori
The RealSelf Team

Ethnic rhinoplasty for AA noses

+1

Ethnic rhinoplasty for AA noses can be done in a natural way to refine your nose and not trying to make it look like a Caucasian nose. Look for a surgeon who does noses like this and meet with his live patients.

+1

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Are there some plastic surgeons that specialize in African American or Ethnic Rhinoplasty?

+1

Some rhinoplasty surgeons specialize in ethnic rhinoplasty. When doing your research, look for surgeons who are board certified, have great credentials, a good amount of before and after photos showcasing their work with ethnic rhinoplasty, and great patient testimonials. Choosing an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist to perform your surgery will help to ensure you obtain a fantastic result you are happy with. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Tiffany,

The short answer is that there are some Plastic Surgeons that do more ethnic and African American Rhinoplasty in their practice and therefore have more experience in this type of surgery....

The best way to figure that out is to scour the websites and see who does them and who does not. In addition, make sure you like the results and you get patient references. Computer imaging may also help you decide what changes you may see after the surgery.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

+1

Hell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing to avoid is a general plastic surgeon. Only one forth of their fellowship training typically is cosmetic surgery which is comprised of mostly body procedures. The first step is to seek out a facial plastic surgeon. These docs have spent typically 5 years of training dealing with rhinoplasty. Then seek out those who have a african american population. I trained at LSU Med Center in Shreveport La. I probably did 200 rhinoplasty cases involving what you are talking about and have been doing them ever since in Austin TX for the past 10 years.

There are many ways to build up the bridge of your nose and make it appear more narrow. In addition, many doctors make cuts on the outside of the nostrils to bring them towards each other and make the base of the nose appear more narrow. Many doctors do know that you can actually makes cuts on the inside of the nose and make the base more narrow that way. Why is that important? African Americans have a high rate of developing keloids, and if that happens on the outside of the nose where you made your cut by the nostril, it doesn't look PRETTY. These are my perils for you. Good luck. I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Dr. D

Peter V. Driscoll, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon