Are There Any Plastic Surgeons Willing to Provide a Fat Transfer Procedure to my Butt?

I'm a healthy 33 year old SC sickle cell patient . I've lost 40 pounds in the last year . My butt looks deflated since the weight loss . I have a clearance from my hematologist .I've had several surgeries including a c section and portal cath placement without complications . My hemotocrit is always above 32, which is high for a SC sickle cell , transfusion aren't needed but 1 time every few years. Is there a surgeon willing to consider this procedure? Under what circumstance could this be done?

BBL for patient with SC disease

+3

SC sickle cell is a common variant of sickle cell anemia.  I am ecstatic that you have been so healthy thus far!  While SC does tend to be less severe than SS (traditional sickle cell), it is still a VERY serious hemoglobin disease.  I would not be comfortable performing elective plastic surgery given your sickle cell anemia.  Your previous surgeries were medically necessary, fat transfer to the butt is not.  Patient safety is my number one priority and for you I think the potential risks are far too high.  It is very possible for surgery to precipitate a pain crisis, splenic sequestration or other complication.  You are also at increased risk of infection following surgery. Best of luck to you.

Not a Candidate for Surgery

+3

Your question can only be answered by specific plastic surgeons. Personally I would not  operate on you with a history of sickle cell disease. The prior procedures you had were medically necessary.  This is an elective procedure that can cause great fluid disturbances in your body that most likely will precipitate a crisis.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Brazilian Butt Lift in Sickle Cell Patient

+3

If you have had clearance from your hematologist, then the question is whether the extra risks for your buttock augmentation is worth it to you. Having had a c-section previously without complications is encouraging but does not exclude the possibility of a crisis during this surgery. Liposuction does induce more blood loss than many realize although this is dependent on how much liposuction is done. Having a high blood count would be important before surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Brazilian Butt Lift

+3

The real question is not if there is a doctor who will operate on you/ Rather the question is are you willing to take major risks to undergo this procedure? Is it worth the potential risks and complications. Add to that the added risks of Sickle Cell Anemia

+3

If you have sickle cell trait and have been cleared by your hematologist, then the BBL may be reasonable.  The results of the Brazilian buttlift are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I am a sickle cell patient who wants the BBL. Is there a PS willing to perform the procedure?

+2

If you have sickle cell trait and are cleared by your hematologist, then you may be a candidate for the BBL. Your uncomplicated surgical history is helpful. You need to consult with a Board Certified PS with extensive experience performing the BBL who, then, needs to coordinate possible surgery with your hematologist.

George Lefkovits, MD