Are There Pills Which Treats Cystic Acne , Pco Related?

I have cystic acne on both cheeks, there are bumps underneath the skin that leaves marks. I am bothered by this, and have visited several dermotalogists. I have used cethaphil, and cream to put on it. but with the ones under the skin, nothing works. I have just got the oral contracepitve pill femini cyproteronacetat ethinylestradiol , the diANE pill. I am very much concerned by the side effects of the pill. Is there any other effective pill which can treat hormonal cystic acne, non contraceptive

Adult acne is often hormonal

+1

Adult acne is often hormonal in nature. Some birth control pills can actually help with the treatment of your acne. Spironolactone can also help. Oral antibiotics are an option. But the best treatment may be accutane. Photodynamic therapy can also help.

Treatments for hormonal acne other than oral contraceptives

+1

Spironolactone may be a good choice if you have hormonal acne and don't want to go on the pill. It is a diuretic that has anti male hormonal effects. Don't get pregnant while on spironolactone, as it can cause birth defects, avoid excess potassium, and drink plenty of water to avoid dizziness and dehydration.

Dina D. Strachan, MD