Is there a permanent cure for congenital ptosis?

My daughter is just one and half months old now. when she born , we were doubting that her both eye lids are not in sync and we tool her to children ophthalmologist, he told us that she is having congenital ptosis in her right eye. few weeks back she uses to open the left eye first and then slowly opens the right eye. but these days she is opening both eyes in sync but we see that eye lid is droopy. Please suggest is there a cure for it (not a temporary fix / cosmetic fix). Please see the pics.

Congenital ptosis. Please the patient

+2

first things first get a good evaluation with an ophthalmologist or pediatric ophthalmologist to ensure that the development of vision is normal. Surgical intervention probably doesn't need to be considered so long as you're daughter can see and thus her vision develop normally. As she grows older surgical intervention would be a good idea. Your daughter is your treasure and I understand the sense of urgency but proceed cautiously and get all the information necessary. #1 priority is to ensure that she can see out of that eye so her vision can develop normally.

Whenever possible I prefer to delay my patients congenital ptosis repair until they are 5-7 years old and whenever possible beyond that 10-13 years old.

Chase Lay, MD

double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congenital ptosis

+1

Yes there is a surgical cure (operation ) for congenital ptosis problems. You need to see an experienced occuloplastic surgeon for consultation and advice on this matter

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no permanent cure.

+1

Congenital ptosis is a difficult condition. The first step is the assessment by the pediatric ophthalmologist who will assess the visual development of the two eye. Severe ptosis can delay the development of the eye that is blocked by the heavy eyelid. This delay is called amblyopia. When present, it needs to be treated usually with patching. This can force the issue of early surgery. If the eye opens well enough then surgery can be postpone until your daughter is bigger which makes surgery easier. The surgical options can also be confusing and it is often helpful to get more than one opinion.