Why Are There Opposing Answers Regarding Having a Tummy Tuck and Fat Graft Combo Operation?

it appears about a 50-50 split of doctors saying not to do it and others saying its ok to do it. Which is which? I do understand why they say it doesn't make sense becuase of hte recovery so, how do people recover from this combo operation? How do they sleep? eat? etc... post op and for how long?

Tummy tuck and fat graft

+3

My answer is simple. I don't do fat grafts such as the Brazilian butt lift or other fat grafts at all. They are waste of time and money. They sound good now, but in a few years you will realize that it did essentially nothing except relieve you of more of your money and leave you with a lumpy butt.

Why Are There Opposing Answers

+2

Different surgeons have different opinions, based on training, experience, etc. A surgeon who spends 4 hours or more doing a TT is less likely feel comfortable extending the surgery by another hour or two might a surgeon who spends two hours.

One real advantage of doing these together is the ability to use the fat from the excess abdominal tissue that would have to be discarded if not used at the same setting. 

It is best to choose based on outcomes you are shown in the surgeon's office rather than by variants in technique. All the best. 

Combining tummy tucks with fat grafting....

+2

If my patient desires it, it is routine for me.  I have extra fat that can easily be 'grafted' at the same time and do not charge for this.  But I also give no warranties on how much fat will survive and when done this way, everyone is happy in the end because invariably, some fat will take.

Curtis Wong, MD

Brazil Butt Lift and Tummy Tuck combination

+2

Thank you for your question. There's a big difference between being able to perform the procedure and providing exemplary results. It is possible to inject small amounts of autologous fat at the same time as abdominoplasty with moderate results, however, I do find better results are achieved when these procedures are done separately.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and fat grafting

+2

as stated below.  ask several surgeons and you will get many opinions

i believe it is better to use the fat that will be thrown away from the tummy tuck

i have no problem in  doing combined procedures and enough have been done worldwide to provide justification for the procedure.

+2

Interesting question.  The answer is that first of all plastic surgery is not an exact science and there are many individual variations in terms of preference and the surgeon's comfort level.  Secondly, the area of fat injection to the buttocks is a fairly new area in plastic surgery and has not yet been standardized like other procedures such as tummy tuck and breast reduction.  You, as the consumer, need to figure out what works best for you.  It is certainly much better to have them done together, avoiding a second operation and taking advantage of the fat being available which would otherwise be discarded.  Hope you got your answer.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and fat injection to the buttocks can be done concurrently.

+2

Finding a comfortable position after these two procedures might be a bit problematic but there is no reason not to do them both together. The fat would be harvested from the lower abdominal skin that would be amputated as part of the abdominoplasty anyway.

It's okay to have a tummy tuck and buttock fat injection at the same time.

+2

There is a saying that if you ask ten different plastic surgeons how they would treat a problem, you'll get 15 different answers.  So what you are finding is actually not surprising.  It is your job to sort out what makes sense to you.  The advantage of combining operations is in avoiding the need to come back and have more surgery and another recovery period.  It turns out that injecting fat into the buttocks simultaneously with a tummy tuck poses no special problems in terms of recovery and I do it regularly.  When you sit, you are actually not sitting on the fat.  It's located just above that area.  Plus you will frequently change position.  Fat injection is not painful so it does not make the recovery especially painful or prolonged.  Typically we are performing liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck so it makes sense to use this fat and not discard it.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Protecting The Grafts

+2

There are many ways to treat patients to achieve the same goal.  I believe that obtain enough fat for grafting and at the same time contouring the body is the best way to go.  The grafts are protected from pressure at all times.  In my experience it is more difficult to do that when a tummy tuck is done at the same time.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+2

Dear t,

Thank you for your post.  I do this combo often and feel it is safe and effective.  After surgery, sitting and walking bent over are the ideal ways of getting around and  resting.  at night sleeping on one side or the other has the least effect on putting pressure on the abdomen or the buttock area where the fat grafting is.  Most women do not want a 'wider' buttock.  They desire more posterior projection.  Thus the fat is placed high on the buttock area for a lifted and projecting appearance.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon