Are There Noncosmetic Benefits to Blepharoplasty?

Hi, I was interested in lower blepharoplasty for cosmetic reasons, but I was also wondering if it has noncosmetic benefits. For example, do any patients report feeling less tired or fatigued in the eye area as a result of the surgery? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Benefits of a Blepharoplasty

+1

The lower blepharoplasty is a cosmetic procedure aimed at removing under-eye “bags” and tightening sagging lower eyelid skin. Cases of functional improvement after a lower bleph are extremely rare. That being said, most patients feel better psychologically and no longer get the usual comments "get some rest, you look tired".

Noncosmetic Benefits to Blepharoplasty

+1

Although most commonly performed for cosmetic reasons, Blepharoplasty also has functional benefits. Blepharoplasty can help with the following: Sagginess of the eyelids, bulging and bags around the eyes, tired or sad appearance, field of vision and some lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Although eyelid surgery is often performed on its own, procedures I recommend to compliment the surgery include a browlift , facelift , or skin surfacing to help you achieve the best results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non cosmetic benefits of Lower Blepharoplasty

+1

Usually non cosmetic benefits are seen with upper blepharoplasty if the upper lids are so heavy that they obstruct vision.  Lower blepharoplasty can help the very rare case that the patient's eyelids are so large that they constantly bump into the glasses, causing inflammation etc.  Sometimes, patients will get a senile ectroprion, where the lower lid becomes malpositioned.  The patient may tear and have discomfort.  A lower blepharoplasty combined with a lid repositioning can help in this particular case.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Lower #blepharoplasty is typically cosmetic and aimed at removing lower eyelid "bags" and tightening lax lower eyelid skin

+1

Lower blepharoplasty is typically cosmetic and aimed at removing lower eyelid "bags" and tightening lax lower eyelid skin. In some cases excessively droopy eyelids can result in tearing and dryness of the eyes. In these cases, a reconstructive procedure can be performed to improve the function of the lower eyelids. However, the vast majority of lower eyelid procedures are cosmetic in nature and not covered by insurance.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benefit to lower bleph

+1

I really don't think there is much functional improvement to a lower bleph unless a person has anectropion which is a pulling away from the lower eye.Many elderly people have a senile ectropion which cause the lower lid to pull away and they have alot of tearing soemtimes.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Functional benefits to lower lid bleph

+1

i think it would be easier to answer "yes" if your quesiton was about upper eyelids

there can be benefits in terms of increased visual field and decreased subjective feelings of being tired

it should be mentioned that many more people would benefit from ptosis surgery in conjunction with upper bleph - i think this procedure is far to frequently overlooked

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Fundamentally lower blepharoplasty is performed for cosmetic reasons.

+1

As has been pointed out once in a blue moon, someone has so much lower eyelid fullness that the skin a fat fill up the glassess and this creates a functional issue.  However that is a very rare situation.  Mostly lower eyelid surgery is performed for cosmetic purposes.

Functional improvement after lower lid bleph

+1

I can only think of one instance in which a patient had a functional improvement after a lower lid bleph and that was my late father.  When he was in his 60s, his lower lid bags were SOOOOO BIG that the frame of his glasses rubbed on them and caused ulceration!  He had a bleph and it helped a lot although he did suffer with a mild post-op ectropion for a couple of months after surgery. 

I made sure to get my bags done because I could see my future.  I had a transconjunctival bleph 15 years ago and still have no baggage (at least in the eyelid department). 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Noncosmetic benefits of lower blepharoplasty

+1

Since your question relates to lower lid blepharoplasty, not upper, the short answer is no, there are not noncosmetic benefits to this procedure.  The exception that I can think of is if the fat or eye bags are so excessive that they actually interfere with the ability to wear glasses, then there would be a noncosmetic benefit to having this procedure. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon