Is There Newer Technology That Allows Laser Hair Removal to Be Pain Free?

i was told by someone that there is newer technology which allows laser hair removal to be pain free or much less painful. i have fair skin and dark, coarse hair and am used to using a lightsheer diode machine for hair removal. is there newer technology in hair removal that i could use that would make it less painful?

Pain free hair removal

+1
The Alma Soprano is virtually pain free.  Because it is used "in-motion" with a cooled tip, I have found that it is tolerated much better than my prior lasers.  Even patients who are very sensitive to the light energy state that the Soprano doesn't hurt at all  

New Orleans General Surgeon

Pain free laser hair removal

+1

It is now possible to have laser-assisted hair removal with little to no discomfort. There are several newer hair removal devices on the market that have significantly reduced the discomfort commonly associated with hair removal. I use the Soprano from Alma lasers which has very little discomfort and does not require any anesthetic cream prior to treatment.  This laser is extremely effective at reducing hair counts with minimal to no pain. I highly recommend this system to any patient seeking hair removal. Good luck. 

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Pain with laser hair removal

+1

All methods of laser hair removal, to be effective, involve some degree of discomfort. The degree of discomfort varies with each person, depending on your pain threshold. A topical anesthetic may also be requested based on individual preferences or tolerances as well as particular anatomic sites. This should be applied 30 minutes to 1 hour prior to treatment. In our office, we use the GentleMax laser by Candela which minimizes the discomfort by spraying a cryogen onto the skin a fraction of a second before each laser pulse.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon