Why is there a new bump on the bridge of my nose four months after a septoplasty/turbinate reduction? (photo)

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction on September 10th. It is four months post-surgery and my nose looks different, despite my doctor telling me it wouldn't. But there is a noticeable bump in my nose that didn't exist before. At my appointment a month ago, the mini cat still showed quite a bit of swelling. During my recovery period I also had a root canal and crown placed on an upper back molar. Could this bump really just be swelling? Or could something have gone wrong in my surgery?

Bump after septoplasty

+1
I agree that it does take several months for swelling to improve after nasal surgery. The bump may be from an unaffected nasal bone pyramid which is more apparent now after some healing has taken place from septoplasty. I would speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patience after rhinoplasty

+1
I inform my rhinoplasty patients that it will take 3-6 months, if not longer, for complete healing.  Sometimes such irregularities do indeed improve with time.  Having said this, it is possible that what you consider a bump is something that was there before, but more apparent after surgery.  Try to be patient but speak to your doctor after about 6 month about it.  Please try to wait at least 1 year before considering revisions surgery. 

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why is there a new bump on the bridge of my nose four months after a septoplasty/turbinate reduction?

+1

Followup with your doctor about your concerns.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.