Why Would There Be New Areas of Tightness 4.5 Months After Lower Facelift & Platysmaplasty?

I'm at 4.5 months after lower facelift & platysmaplasty. Just recently I've developed tightness along my jawline and neck (right side much more so than left). I did not have any tightness in these areas earlier. Any ideas why there may be these late developing sensations? Is this normal? Thanks so much for your time.

Tightness Developing 4 Months after Facelift

+1

Tightness developing 4 months after facelift would be unusual, and, if I were your surgeon, I would want to see you.

Tightness 4 Months After Facelift

+1

Honestly this is not typical, and I have never heard of this happening.  Have you gone back to your surgeon?

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after facelift is probably just a sign of nerve function coming back.

+1

Hi.

Don't worry as long as you look good.  There is always some numbness after a facelift, and there may be strange sensations (tightness, pins and needles, etc.) as the little nerves start to recover.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tightness is usually better by this point

+1

While it is normal to feel tightness in the neck following facelift, the sensation should gradually resolved over the first few months after the procedure.  If you feel more tightness as time has gone on it may be worth a follow up visit with your surgeon to evaluate.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after face and neck lift

+1
Tightness is typical for the first several weeks after facelift, though we can't think of an explanation as to why you would start to develop tightness after four to five months. You should be free and clear and back to routine so best see your surgeon for a check.

Tightness after facelift is not unusual

+1

It is odd that a large number of patients have the complaint of tightness after facelift while most don't. The procedure itself sets out to tighten the neck so it is not entirely surprising that the sensation occurs. What is surprising is that it is not universal, it may be unilateral and the fact that it lasts for several months. I have never seen it last beyond a year.

I would encourage you to check with your Plastic Surgeon to make sure nothing is amiss. Symptomatic improvement may be achieved by massage and ultrasound.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Tightness after a facelift and platysmaplasty

+1

Dear Carol99,

• I would see your surgeon so they can evaluate you in person
  • You may want to try massaging the area to soften the tightness until you see your surgeon

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Tightness of facelift usually gets better with time and feels more loose and natural

+1

It is very difficult to diagnose your condition without an exam.  The symptoms that you are having is unusual but not necessarily something wrong.  I would call your plastic surgeon and see him or her for an evaluation.  Only a thorough exam will give an explanation as to what is going on.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon