Is There Anything my Doctor Can Do to Close my Gap a Little During my Revision to Silicone? (photo)

Hello, I had my BA 14 yrs ago, 425cc HP saline unders, 34yrs old now, petite, 5'-0”, 96 lbs. I would like to switch to silicone next year. My ps is recommending a 475cc HP silicone implant. As you can see from my picture, I have a fairly wide gap. I can only decrease it by pushing them together. Is there anything my doctor can do to close the gap a little? Increase the pocket more towards the middle? Although I would not want to “grow” them outwards, would a wider implant help?

Closing Between breast implants can result in nipples pointing outward

+1

thank you for your question and photographs. As other doctors as stated it is very difficult to close the gap between breast implants. One issue to consider is that if this is attempted in the implant moves more towards the center it can push the nipples outward which would create an abnormal look.

I agree with others that your result looks very good, I question whether you would change

Cleavage cannot be created

+1

Cleavage cannot be created. It represents the attachment of the pec muscle to the breast bone. If that is violated you breasts will look like a tube top and the correction is not only very expensive but difficult.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

The space between your breasts is determined by your natural breast footprint.  That cannot be changed.  I know this isn't what you want to hear.  As an aside, why are you having another surgery?  You have excellent longterm results.  Is there a specific reason why you are changing to silicone implants?  Best is the enemy of Good.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Is There Anything my Doctor Can Do to Close my Gap a Little During my Revision to Silicone?

+1

In my over the internet opinion - NO. If the "gap" is closed, the appearance of your N/A would be outward more. Look at your photos and maybe you can see the effect of more cleavage to rotate the N/A complexes out. 

Best not to close the gap between the breast implants

+1

This is not the answer you want to hear, but I think it is in your best interest.  The position of your breast and nipple are fixed and there is little that can be done to move them more toward the middle.  The pocket can be made wider and/or a wider implant can be used, but this will create an odd appearance of your breasts.  The nipple will be positioned on the side of the breast instead of centered over the breast mound if the implant is moved toward the middle.  You have a very good long term result from your first surgery.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Closing the Gap Between the Breasts

+1

From the photo it does not appear that there is an inordinate amount of space between the breasts. Much depends on how much space there was before the surgery. Most of the time this distance is fixed as the width of the breastbone will determine the amount of cleavage that can be obtained. One must be careful not to attemp to lessen this distance to much or risk a synmastia (partial or total elimination) of that space.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Is There Anything my Doctor Can Do to Close my Gap

+1

Although it is possible to move the implants a bit toward the center, I think it would create new problems that would outweigh what is solved.

Your breasts are naturally wider spread than on some women. The implants are currently well centered on the nipples and areolas. Were the implants moved to the center, your nipples and areolas would appear to be too far to the sides of the breast mound and have a bizarre appearance. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Some breasts are naturally located more toward the side

+1

Hello Beth,

Thank you for the question and photos.  Both a wider implant and opening the pocket more toward the midline (toward the center) will decrease the gap and provide more cleavage.  It is important to note that your breasts are naturally located more toward the sides of your chest and this is normal.  However, if the pocket is opened more toward the middle you will have more breast implant on one side (toward the middle) of your nipple than on the other side (on the side of your chest).  A wider implant will not do this but will increase the amount of "side breast".  So, you will have to decide for yourself which of the three issues above are most important.  I suspect that the combination of going slightly wider and opening the pocket up more toward the middle a little would be the best option.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Close Cleavage During Revisionary Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. You demonstrate your situation nicely.

Although, for some patients it is possible to “close the gap” between the breasts during revisionary  breast surgery, it is probable ( in your case) better not to try to do this to any great degree. As you know, the nipple/areola complexes should be centered on the breast mounds;  attempts to decrease the space between the breasts may lead to a situation where the nipple/areola complexes point to the sides. This is especially true given that you do not want much “side breasts”.

Discuss your goals  with your plastic surgeon;  gertainly the use of a wider breast implants (possibly not a high profile breast implant) may be helpful to a modest degree.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Distance between breasts not treated by eccentric implant placement.

+1

Breast implants are situated directly behind the breast mound. They are not moved eccentrically in an attempt to alter native breast anatomy.