Are There More Complications/Risks Decreasing or Increasing the Size of a Nose?

I'm an asian male, and I was wondering if there are more complications decreasing or increasing the size of a nose?

Asian rhinoplasty

+2

Great question!  Reducing a nose is almost always easier than increasing its size.  In my practice, I usually reserve adding to a nose to those cases that are revisions of previous rhinoplasties in which the nose has been overly reduced.  I tryntomavoid trying to add tissue such as cartilage to a nose if there is another option available.

Compaqrison of Risks When Increasing vs Decreasing Size of Nose

+2

There is no difference in risks of increasing or decreasing the size of the nose as long as the patient's own tissue is used when augmenting the nose and the work is done by an experienced surgeon. Complications with synthetic materials such as silicone are well known.

Complications?

+2

To up-size or downsize the nose: That is the question.  Well, when you ADD "stuff" to the nose, you enter into the world of Augmentation Rhinoplasty and that added "stuff" can always shift, warp, infect, extrude and contract, etc.  I love to perform Augmentation Rhinoplasty via the Open Approach for exacting results and superior internal visualization. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Complications

+2

When decreasing or increasing the nose both procedures vary in complication.  When increasing the nose, an implant may be needed to increase the height.  With a foreign body in you nose, you might possibly experience more swelling that may take longer to resolve.  When decreasing the nose, bone and cartilage is removed to re-shape the nose.  Infections may arise from this area so antibiotics should be prescribed and taken to help avoid infections.  Have your doctor prescribe you antibiotics for either of these procedures.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and IMHO, it's easier and carries less risk and complications when you decrease the size of the nose and here's why.  When decreasing the nose, bone and cartilage is removed.  When the size, of the nose, is increased grafts and/or nasal implants must be used to increase the volume of the tip or bridge.  Each additional step in a Rhinoplasty, like adding cartilage grafts that must be sewn or glued in place or placement of nasal implants, increases the chance that these grafts may move, partially dissolve or become infected (man made implants)...so IMO, this makes it more likely to have complications even though they are very rare.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Asian rhinoplasty complications.

+2

There are no difference in infection , etc with either augmenting or decreasing the size of the nose. However, increasing the size takes more time and skill to do. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Asian Augmentation and Reduction Rhinoplasty

+1

Because most Asian noses have very weak cartilage support underneath the skin and the dorsum is low and the tip is short and poorly projected, augmentation rhinoplasty is usually needed in contrast to Caucasian and Middle Eastern rhinoplasty which are usually reduction in nature.  Asian rhinoplasty is also more complex for this reason and complications can be more common.  But complication rates has many variables, including the surgeons experience and technique as well as patient factors.  This is one area where you are best served by sitting down for a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon who is familiar with Asian rhinoplasty.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reductive rhinoplasty vs. augmentation rhinoplasty

+1

I like your question!  Asymmetries, contour irregularities, and unacceptable cosmetic outcome are possible complications of both, and probably occur with equal rates between the two.  Functional deficits such as breathing difficulty and smell disturbance are probably more common with reducing the size of the nose.  When the size of the nose is reduced, cartilage and tissue from the nose is often removed.  If the structure and anatomy of the nose is not respected and reinforced during surgery, over the time it can collapse and lead to those functional issues.