Is There a Laser Treatment I Need for This Or Will Redness Go Away?

I had a mole removed and stitched up March 6 and was told the redness would go away in 6 weeks or less. It is now March 22 and although it has gotten better it still bothers me. I went to see a plastic surgeon today about Fraxel/fractional laser on it but, she felt I did not need it and was told again the redness would go away. If I wanted to I could come back in 2 weeks for pulse laser for the redness. She even thought the scar would go away. Is this true?

Redness of scar after mole excision

+2

Redness does usually fade after a number of weeks after excision is performed.  In areas of tension or motion, like the upper lip, that process takes a little longer.  As long as the area remains flat and non tender, you may want to choose to give it time to heal completely on its own.  It takes up to one year for the scar to reach its final stage of healing.  Treating the spot with a vascular laser will improve the redness sooner.  The scar itself may become less visible, but excision scars do not go away completely.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal scars

+1

The photo suggests that your mole was shaved and not cut out with stitches? I would agree with what your doctor told you. The redness will get better with time but yes the pulsed dye laser can help the redness go away faster. The fractional lasers can also help blend the appearance of the scar. It seems like this was recently done so I would also agree that giving it some more time would be the most reasonable thing to do.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon