Is There Any Way to Get a Larger Silicone Breast Implant over Time?

I had implants put in last year and was disappointed with the results. I'd been told I'd look "blessed" but ended up being a small-average size for my frame.(My family/friends agree.) The sizers made me look blessed & I was told that would be about my actual size. I wasn't warned it could turn out much smaller. In expressing my disappointment my doctor said he couldn't take me bigger due to my limited skin amount. Will that skin ever sag over time to the point where I can get larger implants?

Large Breast implants

+1

You can definitely go larger. Your skin does stretch over time allowing a placement of a much larger implant. I usually advise waiting for three to six months for this implant to "settle" and then you could have another procedure done.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Going bigger

+1

Now that you have been stretched out with your current implants, going larger may be possible but it really, really depends on your chest dimensions and your skin envelope.  Most patients who end up with serious implants problems went too big.   If the current size of your breasts enhances your figure, you should stay with it. 

I hightly recommend the story of Gertrude McFuzz by Dr. Suess.  He tells a story of a bird with the "smallest tail every wuz" finding a way to get a bigger and more beautiful tail.  Things do not end well for Gertrude. 

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/blog/the-cautionary-tale-of-gertrude-mcfuzz/

Replacement with larger implants

+1

There are situations when a patient would desire an implant size that is too large for the skin envelope.  Staging the surgery with replacement of the initial implant with a larger implant several months after the first surgery is often possible.  The initial implant gradually stretches the muscle and overlying breast tissue and skin to accomodate a larger implant quite well.  It sounds like that is likely the situation you are in.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Going larger

+1
Yes, you can have larger implants placed. However, depending on your soft tissue coverage and the size of the implants you havre placed, the skin and soft tissues may thin and make the implants more palpable or visible. You should discuss this with board certified plastic surgeon(s).
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Revising to larger breast implants

+1

I agree with Dr. DeMars. Using external implants as sizers is quite misleading and a setup for the type of disappointment you're describing. There is currently no way to measure the size of the overall breast before or after surgery and get an externally sized or arbitrary sized implant to fit, look natural, and get the desired or expected effect. Computer imaging is getting better at it but the best way is to think of fitting your foot in a shoe or your body in a dress. The surgeon should measure the width of your breast upright with arms down and then subtract about 1/2 to 3/4 cm to know what the diameter of the implant should be to fit your breast. Your choice is the forward projection of low, medium, or high (not called that in silicone gel implants) that will make you look about a cup, cup-and-a-half, or two cup sizes larger. The tissues will accommodate within this range regardless. They don't have to be stretched or distorted. 

Assuming the implant is properly positioned and not too big for the width of the breast, the implant can be changed to one at least 1 to 1 1/2 cm wider or a higher profile of forward projection (assuming it's not already a high profile). The increased width adds roughly a half cup size and the forward projection increase from the typical mid projection to high projection adds another half cup size. Generally this can be done by three months when the tissues are fully recovered from the first procedure (again assuming there is no malposition or capsule contracture). The skin does not need to change at all. You can also increase the width without changing the forward projection or change the forward projection without increasing the width. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Yes you will

+1

The answer is yes you will be able to go bigger, many surgeons follow measures from your body, i do use sizers, however I always go with the next size up, still some patients would prefer a bigger implant if they have the chance. In the future you could go with a bigger implant, however you may have more side effects. My advised is that you talk to several plastic surgeons (very important they are board certified by the american board of plastic surgery) and them you can really make an informed decision. Good luck

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation

+1

Sometiems the skin enevelope is very tight and it prevents one from going much larger.  A revsiion may be able to be performed once the tissues accomodate to the implant you have now.

Larger implants the second time

+1

The skin envelope will expand and with a repeat it is very likely that you can have a larger implant the second time. Implants in the bra can be deceiving and it is not possible to try an implant on and read the number to get the size right. The look is the key.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Bigger implants

+1

It is common for the breasts to gradually appear more relaxed and not so tight after a certain amount of time following breast augmentation. Usually about one year is needed before larger implants can be inserted. This varies with individuals, but your surgeon can guide you.

+1

I have seen cases where at the first operation, the skin envelope really was too tight to accept a large implant without the fear of complications. And in most cases, the skin and muscle really do relax a bit and an exchange to a larger size can be done later...So it is common in some cases to not be able to go as big as you want but then increase the size at a later operation.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon