Are There Other Kinds of Blue Peels Beside Obagi, or is That the Only One?

Other types of Blue Peel

+2

As far as I know, Obagi is the only company that utilizes the brand name "blue peel." A blue peel's active ingredient is TCA which is commonly found in other peels.

Obagi Blue Peels are trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peels

+2

To my knowledge, the only true "Blue Peel" is the one made by Obagi. Since the Obagi Blue Peel is a relatively mild TCA peel, there are many variations of a TCA peel that can be used to achieve different results. I believe that only an experienced, qualified physician should be doing TCA peels as the results (as well as the safety) of these peels is highly technique dependent. Depending on the depth of the peel, a significant number of layers can be exfoliated to create a fresh, vibrant appearance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Other Blue peels besides Obagi?

+2

I agree with Dr. Rand.  The active ingredient in the Obagi Blue peel is the TCA, and certainly, these TCA peels are done without the blue base on a daily basis.  There are LITERALLY hundreds of different types of peels out there.  The most important thing is finding a truly experienced doctor in the ART of chemical peeling.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blue Peels

+2

Blue peels are dilute trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peels.  The blue color comes from dye in the peel that allows the applier to know exactly where they have put the TCA so no areas are missed.  Theer are lots of TCA peels out there, but the name Blue Peel probably belongs to Obagi.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Obagi Blue Peel - one and only

+1
"Blue Peel" was coined by Obagi after he popularized the technique of adding a vital dye that turned blue when the dermal depth was reached (desired endpoint). I don't know of any other peels using this name

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Other Blue Peels

+1

Thank you for your question. There are many kinds of chemical peels that work well for treating various skin issues. As far as Blue peels, this is the only peel from Obagi. The blue color is simply for application purposes, allowing the provider to know when the peel is complete. I would recommend consulting under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or plastic surgeon for safest and best treatment options. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Peels other that Blue Peel?

+1

There original Obagi Blue Peel was a TCA based system with a blue dye added which is painted on the skin in layers.  I have stopped using them as the blue dye takes more than a day to dissipate and I found that patients didn't like being blue for several days.   The list of peels we offer in ascending order of  aggressiveness are:

Obagi Blue Peel Radiance:  a lactic acid, salicylic acid, glycolic peel.  No dyes.

Theraplex 20% and 30% Salicylic Acid Peels:  Great for pigment and acne prone skin

The Perfect Peel:  a combination of salicylic, phenol, TCA, Kojic, Vitamin C and RetinA.  Great for pigmentation and coarse skin

Check these out and I think you will find one that fits your needs.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Blue peel TCA options

+1

Surgeons can vary the depth of the Blue peel and can modify it according to the particular type of skin treated. I combine my Blue peel treatments with a preoperative course of Melaquin in order to optimize results and minimize risk of hyperpigmentation. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS