Is There Any Possible Issues That my Insurance Could Deny Me Because I Had a Tummy Tuck?

I am planning a tummy tuck and breast augmentation, as soon as I find the right surgeon. My concern is in the future is there anything that my insurance says, "we won't cover that since you had these elective surgeries". Thank you for you time.

Insurance Issues

+2

I am not aware of this, however Insurance companies essentially do whatever they want--- you may want to have someone with a legal backround look through your health insurance contract.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Question whether a tummy tuck affects insurance coverage in any way

+2

I have never heard of a tummy tuck influencing insurance in any way. However, having had a breast augmentation may affect rates or other issues with some insurance companies. You can call your insurance company (an even a few others) anonymously ands ask them this question. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Insurance coverage after elective procedures

+2

I am not 100% sure if the insurance company can deny you for having cosmetic procedures but I do know that one of the questions they ask when you are applying for insurance is if you have breast implants.  I haven't heard of a patient being denied but it may affect your monthly pmt.  I agree that speaking to your human resources officer may be a good way to go.

Insurance denial after tummy tuck

+2

Insurance companies will try to deny anyone for any reason. Have your Human Resource personnel or Insurance Rep help you.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Health insurance and cosmetic surgery

+1
Everyone's health insurance policy is different, however, in general, most health insurance plans do not cover any complications resulting from a cosmetic procedure. You have to read the fine print of your individual plan. It doesn't hurt to try and bill health insurance since they do cover these issues sometimes. However, there are very reasonable priced cosmetic insurance plans that can be purchased prior to your cosmetic procedure that cover complications resulting from the cosmetic procedure. Your plastic surgeon can give you information on these plans that are sold by a separate company. You can also ask your plastic surgeon if you are at increased risk of having a complication and thus worth the extra expense of obtaining the policy.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Insurance issues following tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

+1

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their insurance company following a tummy tuck but I have had patients who have had medical insurance issues with their breast implants.  I would call your insurance company and address your concerns to them directly. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Elective Plastic Surgery Should Not Impact Future Insurability

+1

The fact that you choose to undergo a breast augmentation and tummy tuck (or any other elective aesthetic surgery) should not influence your ability to obtain health insurance in the future.  On the other hand, if you have a complication directly associated with an elective plastic surgical operation, many insurance companies will refuse to cover the treatment costs.  There are insurance policies available which will specifically cover these costs.

John Whitt, MD

Insurance

+1

The insurance coverage on many procedures is unknown, until the claim is sent.  A letter of coverage maybe obtained but the exact dollar amount will not be disclosed until after the procedure.  Be financially safe if you do need to pay toward the balence.  Good luck

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)