Are There Internal Stitches Used in Breast Augmentation? I Had Mine 6 Days Ago and Felt a Tear but See No Outward Signs.

I had 300 CC silicone implants via areolar incision and am 6 days post-op. I feel great and have no pain from the swelling anymore but sometimes when I move the wrong way or stretch my arms to position myself on the bed, I feel a sharp pain like I pulled a thread or something. The pain only lasts a few minutes and then goes away...there are no visible signs of damage externally. should I be concerned and what are the repercussions of tearing an internal stitch?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Reduced Activities After Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question.  Early postop it is important to reduce activites to prevent pulling of sutures and other potential complicaitons.  At this point, a dislodged suture should not cause a major problem.   I would recommend reducing your activities.  All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Sutures used in breast augmentation

+3

Usually there is no need for sutures within the implant pocket with a primary breast augmentation.  The breast tissue itself and the skin is usually sutured with dissolving sutures, these take around 6 weeks to dissolve.

The pain you describe sounds within the normal range after a breast augmentation.  It is unlikely you have any problem if there is no ongoing pain, swelling or reason for concern.  The nerves to the breast are often stretched by the implant and it takes several weeks for them to return to normal.

If you are still concerned you should contact your surgeon to double check everything is going well.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Internal sutures are present

+2

yes you almost certainly have internal sutures. Sounds like you are doing great. Resist the temptation to overdo it. You can't tear anything though. It is not unusual to feel what you are describing. Best of Luck!

Internal sutures with breast augmentation

+2

Yes, there are internal sutures with a breast aug.  Be careful early to protect your result.  A feeling of tearing is not unusual.  You can do damge and affect the result, but it is very unlikely if you are careful and follow doctor's orders.

Tlamage Raine MD FACS

Tearing sensation after Breast Augmentation

+2

Yes there are usually internal sutures, but the pulling sensation can be due to many things.  One thing I worry about is a tear in the new capsule which can cause bleeding.  Evaluation by your physician should be done to make sure no damage has been done.

Stitches inside after a breast augmentation

+2

Primary breast augmentation surgery usually does not include any type of pocket type od sutures. The  parenchyma is sewn back together.

Internal stitching in breast aug

+2

Through the areola, the breast tissue needs to be divided to get down to make the implant pocket.  This is usually stitched bak after the implant is inserted.  Discomfort is a sign you are overdoing.

Internal sutures with breast enlargement.

+2

Regardless of incision chosen for augmentation mammoplasty, there are internal sutures, and excessive activity or stretching prematurely can tear or disrupt one or more of them.

However, it is more likely that you simply stretched a recovering sensory nerve, or stimulated a pectoralis muscle spasm (like a chest charley-horse), rather than tearing a stitch.

If you are asking, you may be "doing a bit much," but some movement and arm use is both normal and appropriate, and these sensations are usually normal! Take it easy and follow your surgeon's activity restrictions. In the absence of unusual swelling or persistent pain, what you are describing happens to most patients and is a normal part of recovery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Internal Stitches

+2

I am glad that your recovery and result thus far have been pleasing.  Typically, there are not internal stitches that are deep enough to cause the symptoms that you described.  You should visit with your PS to address your concerns.

Dr. ES

Vague pains after BAM

+2

There are internal sutures placed during a breast augmentation.  You do not mention if you had under or over the muscle, but regardless, there will be sutures internally.

Although it is possible for you to pop a suture, it is not likely that you continue to do so repeatedly (there simply are not that many placed).  It is more likely that you are either breaking up scar tissue bands that are forming, or you are pulling a muscle that is in spasm.

As long as shape is fine you are likely fine too.  I would bring this up at next visit so your ps can examine the area specifically.

Web reference: http://www.txplasticsurgeon.com/gallery/breastaug1.html