Are There Internal Stitches Used in Breast Augmentation? I Had Mine 6 Days Ago and Felt a Tear but See No Outward Signs.

I had 300 CC silicone implants via areolar incision and am 6 days post-op. I feel great and have no pain from the swelling anymore but sometimes when I move the wrong way or stretch my arms to position myself on the bed, I feel a sharp pain like I pulled a thread or something. The pain only lasts a few minutes and then goes away...there are no visible signs of damage externally. should I be concerned and what are the repercussions of tearing an internal stitch?

Sutures used in breast augmentation

Usually there is no need for sutures within the implant pocket with a primary breast augmentation.  The breast tissue itself and the skin is usually sutured with dissolving sutures, these take around 6 weeks to dissolve.

The pain you describe sounds within the normal range after a breast augmentation.  It is unlikely you have any problem if there is no ongoing pain, swelling or reason for concern.  The nerves to the breast are often stretched by the implant and it takes several weeks for them to return to normal.

If you are still concerned you should contact your surgeon to double check everything is going well.

Internal sutures are present

yes you almost certainly have internal sutures. Sounds like you are doing great. Resist the temptation to overdo it. You can't tear anything though. It is not unusual to feel what you are describing. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Tearing sensation after Breast Augmentation

Yes there are usually internal sutures, but the pulling sensation can be due to many things.  One thing I worry about is a tear in the new capsule which can cause bleeding.  Evaluation by your physician should be done to make sure no damage has been done.

Stitches inside after a breast augmentation

Primary breast augmentation surgery usually does not include any type of pocket type od sutures. The  parenchyma is sewn back together.

Internal stitching in breast aug

Through the areola, the breast tissue needs to be divided to get down to make the implant pocket.  This is usually stitched bak after the implant is inserted.  Discomfort is a sign you are overdoing.

Internal sutures with breast enlargement.

Regardless of incision chosen for augmentation mammoplasty, there are internal sutures, and excessive activity or stretching prematurely can tear or disrupt one or more of them.

However, it is more likely that you simply stretched a recovering sensory nerve, or stimulated a pectoralis muscle spasm (like a chest charley-horse), rather than tearing a stitch.

If you are asking, you may be "doing a bit much," but some movement and arm use is both normal and appropriate, and these sensations are usually normal! Take it easy and follow your surgeon's activity restrictions. In the absence of unusual swelling or persistent pain, what you are describing happens to most patients and is a normal part of recovery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Internal Stitches

I am glad that your recovery and result thus far have been pleasing.  Typically, there are not internal stitches that are deep enough to cause the symptoms that you described.  You should visit with your PS to address your concerns.

Dr. ES

Reduced Activities After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Early postop it is important to reduce activites to prevent pulling of sutures and other potential complicaitons.  At this point, a dislodged suture should not cause a major problem.   I would recommend reducing your activities.  All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Vague pains after BAM

There are internal sutures placed during a breast augmentation.  You do not mention if you had under or over the muscle, but regardless, there will be sutures internally.

Although it is possible for you to pop a suture, it is not likely that you continue to do so repeatedly (there simply are not that many placed).  It is more likely that you are either breaking up scar tissue bands that are forming, or you are pulling a muscle that is in spasm.

As long as shape is fine you are likely fine too.  I would bring this up at next visit so your ps can examine the area specifically.

I would be confident that some internal, or dissolvable sutures were used for your surgery to close the area used to open the pocket and placed the implant. I feel that it would be highly unlikely that your surgeon will put any internal sutures in the breast pocket other than that. Because you're only six days out, you need to protect the surgery, and not to overdo it. There are many different feelings, sensations, and changes that you will experience during this early postoperative time. If you have other specific questions, I recommend that you contact your surgeon, as I'm sure that he/she would be very interested and willing to work with you to ensure an optimal outcome for you.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS