Is There an Increased Risk of Rotation?

I am having revision surgery to put in narrower subglandular implants because I have palpable edges laterally and a squared cleavage. I am happy with my size. My doctor is exchanging my 360cc MM Natrelle highly cohesive tear drop implants with 335cc FF of the same type of implants instead. The dimensions will change from 13W12.1H4.8P to 12W12.5H4.8P. My doctor says this will be a straight exchange but I am concerned about a greater risk of rotation with the narrower width. What do you think?

Anatomical implant rotation

+1
I believe there is an increased risk of implant rotation when you use an anatomical implant in breast revision surgery.  That is especially true if you are changing to a smaller implant.  A round implant has no chance of changing in appearance with rotation, of course, so it would be an easy way to decrease that risk.  Your surgeon would be the best person to advise you on the pros and cons of each implant choice.  Good luck.

Textured implants

+1

Textured implants adhere to the surrounding tissue, but there still is a small chance that they could rotate.

Revisionary Breast Augmentation Concerns?

+1

I would be concerned that your current operative plan of a “straight exchange” will not address the issues that are of concern. For example, if the breast implants are palpable laterally and your cleavage looks “squared”,  you may need to have some breast implant pocket adjustments made to improve these contour and implant positioning issues. Capsulotomy and/or capsulorraphy techniques may be necessary.

In my practice,  I prefer the use of round breast implants to eliminate the potential for rotation altogether.

No Increased risk of rotation but not sure if this will help

+1

There is a relatively small difference in base diameter so there shouldn't be a significant chance of rotation. However, I am not sure if this will help your complaints.  I find that the textured implants have an increased risk of palpability. Exchanging to a smooth round gel implant may be better for you. This will allow for free rotation of the implant and less palpability. Placing them under the muscle will also help greatly.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD