Is There a Higher Risk of Lumps Showing if Sculptra is Injected in the Upper Lateral Parts of the Face?

Yes

+1

Yes, there is a higher risk, because the distance between the skin and the bone is smaller than in the mid-cheek region. I agree with Dr. Apostolides' comment, partner with a Board-Certified Dermatologist or Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon so that you have an optimum result. "More Experience=Better Outcomes".

Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra: avoiding lumps/where to inject it/liquid facelift

+1

Sculptra is an injectable form of L-Polylactic acid.  When injected into the face, it stimulates an inflammatory reaction which stimulates collagen production by the facial tissues and results in a natural tightening and filling.  If diluted properly and injected in the right plane, there is extremely low risk for developing lumps.  When performed by a board certified and trained plastic surgeon or dermatologist, Sculptra can be injected in most of the facial regions.  The only areas I do not recommend injecting Sculptra are the eyelids and the lips.  Otherwise, one can create a true liquid facelift result as well as create significant improvement in overall skin quality following 3-4 sessions of Sculptra injection.

John G. Apostolides, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

When properly injected Sculptra has a low risk of lumps

+1

The risk of lumps from Sculptra is probably more "technique dependent" rather than where it is injected. Sculptra is typically not injected directly into wrinkle lines and folds, but rather into multiple areas of the face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance. This leads to the subtle and natural-looking results that are so often desired. Patients don’t want to look “done” but also don’t want to look “tired”. Seemingly small changes in shape, proportions, balance, and symmetry can have a surprisingly large effect on our perception of the aging face. I would not be treated by a physician who feels that Sculptra has a higher rate of lumps as that is most likely a higher risk in their hands. Find an experienced physician injector who knows how to inject with a low incidence of lumps and other adverse effects.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after sculptra injection to upper lateral face

+1

Hi Emmanouella. Lumps after sculptra injections are more common at the lower nasolabial folds and the marionette lines, areas where the muscles of facial expression are more superficial.  I have not seen or felt lumps in the upper lateral face (temporal depressions) in the years that I have used this product.  You should see an experienced sculptra injector and discuss your concerns.  You also have other options for filling the temporal depressions - hyaluronic acid products will also give long lasting results in this region.  Good luck.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and Sculptra

+1

Eeverybody has his/her opinion and experience and Plastic Surgery is no different. While some fillers are universally easy to use (such as Restylane for example) others are considered more problematic and unpredictable. Sculptra happens to fall into this latter group and DOES have a much higher rate of lumps than other fillers. If you are not willing to risk such complications you may be better served by using a different filler since no one can guarantee you will not suffer such a complication.