Is There Anything I Can Do to Help my Fat Transfer Procedure to "Take" Post Surgery?

Had fat transfer 2 weeks ago to inner thighs to correct bad lipo and wondered if there was anything I could do to help improve results and make the transfer more successful. Diet, exercise, massage, vitamins, food? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Improving Results of Fat Transfer Procedure

+1

Other  than closely following your surgeon's instructions there is nothing you can do to improve fat survival after surgery.

What to do after Fat Transfer

+1

There are no proved techniques to improve fat graft survival after the procedure. You should follow your surgeon's recommendations.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Improving fat survival

+1

To improve survival of injected fat:

1. Avoid manipulating the grafted fat
  2. Don't smoke
  3. Avoid strenuous exercise

Sam Naficy, MD

Improving fat survival after fat graft surgery

+1

There are a few ways to improve fat survival after fat graft surgery. The first and foremost way is to avoid smoking. Hopefully, you are not a smoker or had been warned prior to surgery. Smoking greatly diminishes blood supply to tissue. Fat graft is live tissue that is transplanted into a new body area and is relying on adequate blood supply for survival. Avoiding putting a lot of pressure on the newly grafted regions can also help improve the chances of the graft surviving. Be sure to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions closely.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Helping Fat Survive

+1

Fat survival can be a struggle with many people, sometimes it is the individual quality of the fat that is transfered, it can also just be the individual and how that one person heals or reabsorbs the transfered fat. At out clinic we only transfer fat to the face and hands, however one of the most important instructions that I give my patients is to limit movement in the area the fat has been transfered in. If the fat is transfered to the face, I tell my patient's to try to talk as little as possible especially for the first two weeks. This method has seemed to have the best results. Fat needs some time to settle, the individual cells need to find a blood supply and get confortable with where the have been transfered. When there is excessive movement can disperce the fat as well as have your body reabsorb the fat. Every doctor is going to have different ideas of how to have the fat survive where it has been transfered, this is just how I have found the best results. Good luck with your healing process,

Kindest Regards,

Dr. Young and Staff

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon