Is There a 'Good' Time of Year for Eyelid Surgery? I Live in the Sun Belt of Calif

We have adapted to the great weather in Southern California.

+2

It is always a good time for eyelid surgery in SoCal.  The important thing is to find the right surgeon, to have the right surgery, and to make sure you have given yourself enough time for recovery.

Sun exposure after facial cosmetic surgery

+2
In the Sun Belt, I assume that it is generally sunny1 The rule of thumb is to avoid exposure to the sun after surgery (and this is generally a wise thing to do not only to reduce the harmful effects of the sun in terms of aging but because sun exposure is implicated in development of skin cancer). If you are outdoors, you should apply and re-apply sun screen regularly.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Plan surgery around YOUR schedule

+1

There is no good or bad time of year for eyelid surgery.  Plan surgery around your work schedule; choose a time that will allow you to take proper post-operative care, and give yourself time to heal.

Probably more important than the time of year, is what you do after surgery. Stay out of the sun if possible! If you cannot avoid the sun, wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and apply and reapply sunscreen.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Avoid sun exposure

+1

As long as you protect your healing scars after surgery, it shouldn't matter what time of year you have surgery. Covering up sunlight exposure with sun glasses and wide brimmed hat in the immediate postoperative period, and cautious use of sunblock after surgery will avoid pigment changes postoperatively.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sun exposure with surgery

+1

In general, it is best to avoid, UV and sun exposure after surgery. However, the  recovery of upper eyelid surgery is pretty fast. Therefore, it is just fine to time your surgery around your schedule and not the sun's.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The best time is the one most convenient for you and will allow you to follow the post-operative instructions the best.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Timing of eyelid surgery

+1

There is no time of a year or season that is better or worse to have eyelid surgery. So plan it according to your life and work schedule, when you have one week to take off.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Upper Eyelid Surgery is a relatively small surgery with a quick recovery.  For that reason, IMO, do it when you can take a week off from work and the weather should have no effect on the recovery.