Voluma for Fuller Look Around Eyes and Cheeks?

Are there good results with Voluma 1cc for each cheek and under eyes? I had cheek implants 6 years ago. One year ago I had filler under the eyes with good results. I have noticed a tiny rough area under the left eye and some puffiness compared to the right side. I consulted with my PS and he suggested I do Voluma for the cheeks and under the eyes. I asked about fat under the eyes but he felt filler was better due to previous cheek implants. Is this risky? What are my best options for a fuller look around the eyes/cheeks?

Cheek augmentation and filling under the eyes

+2

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid-based filler. It can be reversed with an enzyme called Hyaluronidase.  Other fillers include Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane, and Belotero.   If you haven't done much under the eyes, I would definitely go with one of thinner products like Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero.  I only use the thicker products when I am doing cheek augmentation and I just need a little bit of product to fill under the eyes.  If I need a moderate to a lot of volume under the eyes, then my preference is to use the thinner products I mentioned above.  

These areas are considered advanced areas, so I would definitely go to someone who is very experienced at filling under the eyes. Other options such as fat grafting is a viable option.  This is even more specialized, and a very rewarding product to use. It is definitely more invasive with some more downtime. Make sure you talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in all options if you're trying to decide between the two

Voluma and Radiesse are excellent long lasting deep fillers.

+2

Dear writer, Voluma and Radiesse are excellent long lasting deep fillers. Indeed the 2-year duration approved for Voluma is very exciting news and most of us in the US are still to see this long lasting effect clinically in our patients. Thus far, Voluma proves to be a beautiful and quite effective filler for areas of volume loss, particularly on the upper face, where it also achieves a lifting effect for the face. With regards to Radiesse, this is also a longer lasting filler, proven to last for at least 1 year (though patients will notice various degrees of volume correction still seen well past one year). Results with Radiesse have been very smooth and aesthetically pleasing, and it also successfully accomplishes the 'liquid facelift', as it helps lift and fill the aging face. As with any facial filler, when injections are overdone in quantity and frequency a 'puffed up cheek' appearance can develop, something to be avoided by injectors and patients. I hope this information is helpful. From Miami, Dr. Bowes

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma should NEVER be placed under the eyes

+1
Dermal fillers are excellent for mid face volumizing and low face volume loss. What they are not indicated for are under eye hollow and tear troughs. This area of the face has thin, unforgiving skin. The dermal fillers by nature are meant to draw in water making them hydrophilic. The combination of thin unforgiving skin along with a "water binding" dermal filler is that you can be left with fluid pockets that do not go away unless injected with a hyaluronidase. Even after injection of this dermal filler dissolving agent, the prediction of where and how much dermal filler it will remove is completely unpredictable. The other down side of having dermal filler placed in such a delicate area is something called the "tyndall effect" which essentially is light reflecting off of the superficial dermal filler causing a bluish hue. This bluish hue will leave the under eyes looking darker and even more hollow. Even if one has seen a patient do well with dermal fillers immediately post procedure, these effects take days to be acquired. This is why 'before and after' photos may not present with these effect. Also there are some patients who don't experience these effect but because there is no way to predict if one will be left with permanent or lengthy unsightly side effects, a conservative experienced injector will NOT perform this procedure on their clients.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for facial volume filling

+1
Voluma is a wonderful facial volume filler for the cheek area.  Voluma is ideal for mid cheek augmentation and one syringe is a good way to start to assess the results.  I would not suggest Voluma under the eyes.  I prefer Belotero or Restylane for this under eye area.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in facial injections.

Michele S. Green, MD

Voluma is perfect for mid cheek volume replenishment.

+1
Judging from your photo it looks like you might be a good candidate for volume replenishment.  An interesting thing about replacing volume in the cheeks is that in over one half of the patients treated with Voluma in the FDA trial saw improvement in the under eye area.....even though they were not directly injected there!  Sounds like a good option for you.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Voluma Be Used Under the Eyes in a Patient With Cheek Implants

+1
Hi Glitter,

I believe that the only filler that should be used under the eyes is Restylane.  Juvederm attracts too much fluid for the thin, delicate, and unforgiving lower eyelid hollow.  Voluma should be used laterally along the anterior portion of the zygomatic arch prior to adding volume under the eyes.  Voluma is too thick to be used under the eyes.  Most importantly in your case is the fact that you have facial implants that should not be violated with needles and fillers as there can be serious infection risks that may result in having to remove your cheek implants.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Voluma for cheeks is excellent

+1

Voluma (a Juvederm product specifically indicated for cheeks from Allergan) is an awesome filler for cheeks, with or without having an implant.  As a trainer for this product, I teach other physicians to use it to lift cheeks up.  Less product is needed than with other fillers and it lasts up to 2 years.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon