Is There Anything for Lower Eyelid Ptosis?

I had hyperthyroid for many years. I went to ER - thyrotoxicosis. I went to the doc and was taking methimazole and atenolol for over 6 month. I could sleep better, my face looked better - eyes were symmetric and less buldging. But I lost a lot of hair. Once my blood test was ok, I stopped taking meds. My doc said he could tell I had my eyes affected, but he thought not bad enough to do any treatment. But Buldging eyes make me a different person. I'm scared of surgery, anything else I could do?

You probably mean lower eyelid "retraction" as opposed to "ptosis"

+1

With thryoid eye disease, a few things occur:

1. The eyelids and periocular areas become red and swollen

2. The eyes become bulgy

3. The eye muscles work abnormally due to swelling and may cause double vision.

4. The eyelids become retracted [more white of the eyes show]

It is best to address each problem in the order that I have numbered them. We generally do not recommend surgery, unless the inflammation [redness and swelling] has quieted down.

There are many nuances in dealing with thyroid eye disease and close followup by an Oculoplastics surgeon is imperative.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you are unwilling to have surgery to rehabilitate your orbits after thyroid eye disease, consider non-surgical alternatives.

+1

Perhaps you don't need surgery.  It is difficult to know what you need without a personal consultation.  I certainly recommend conferring with a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  Generally it is best to see surgeons for this who are on faculty at major university centers.  However, many larger communities have private practice surgeons with sufficient experience to manage the rehabilitation of thyroid eye disease.  Non surgical options now include periocular filers to help soften the appearance.