Is There Anything That Can Be Done for a 2nd Rhinoplasty - I Have Scar Tissue on the Side of my Nose (photo)

I had a 2nd rhinoplasty two years ago to correct some flaws from the 1st surgery. The doctor also added a butterfly wrap (?) to the bridge of my nose to open up the airways more. I have scar tissue on the left side of my nose, and a visible lump. My doctor didn't want to do surgery again to correct it, and my breathing is actually worse. He felt that because of my age (61), and not knowing what the end result would be, he didn't want to take the risk of more surgery. Is there anything I can do?

Revision Rhinoplasty Breathing

+2

I feel that the results that were achieved during this most recent procedure are quite good.  The small bump that you notice could potentially be addressed.  However, the fact that  your breathing has gotten worse warrants a thorough examination of the inside of your nose.  If your physician has not done so, use of a flexible fiberoptic or rigid scope may help to get a clear view of all of the intranasal anatomy to see what could be affecting your breathing.  The treatment may require the use of various kinds of nasal sprays or further procedures to help.

Breathing after revision rhinoplasty

+2

I agree with my colleagues that the cosmetic result from your revision procedure is excellent.  A thorough examination of the internal nose, perhaps including endoscopy will help to clarify the cause of the breathing problems.  The solution could be as simple as a nasal steroid spray or as extensive as an internal nasal surgery.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

The slight asymmetry can be improved but over the past 35 years I always want to see the patient before subtle changes are made. An examination would be necessary to determine what is necessary to improve nasal function.

Revision rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Dear Marilyn,

• For a revision rhinoplasty, those results are excellent
  • No result can be 100% perfect, and the bump can be hidden well with injectible fillers as Dr Joseph mentioned
  • If you have trouble breathing, and it has been at least a year, you should have an exam...sometimes just a prescription nasal spray will help

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

There are several options for improving your breathing after Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

First I would like to complement your surgeon for a job well done. You look fantastic.

The bump on the left side of your tip appears to be cartilage, and also appears improved after surgery. In certain cases, small cartilage irregularities may be camouflaged with a carefully performed Silikon-1000 injection: this is an off-label filler for permanent results.

If your surgeon cannot help you with your breathing, consider consulting a reputable ENT specialist or facial plastic surgeon. You may be a candidate for prescription nasal sprays, or an in-office turbinate reduction procedure.

Based on your photos, I would not suggest further surgery, or leave this as a last resort.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revison Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

If your concerned about improving your breathing, then you may be a candidate for a functional rhinoplasty revision to correct any airway issues. The small bump that you see may be correctable as well, but as you said it cannot be seen on the photos. Proper assessment would involve internal examination of your nose.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS