Are There Food Restrictions After Professional Teeth Whitening?

Are dark foods or acidic foods not recommended after a professional teeth whitening? Is this the same guideline for using whitening strips at home?

If you want the best result possible, Yes there are foods & drinks to avoid..

+2

I always recommend my patients follow the rule "if it will stain your clothes, it will stain your teeth".  Some of those foods & drinks include, but are not limited to red wine, cola, red sauces, coffee, dark teas, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce & also avoid tobacco products.  Other than that your safe, but if you absolutely cannot resist just make sure you floss & brush right after.  Remember following the after care instructions are crucial to achive the best result possible.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Instructions after teeth whitening

+2

Teeth can become stained by factors including smoking, drinking red wine, coffee, and dark tea.  It is best to avoid these if you want to prevent staining of your teeth.  Also, acidic foods and drinks, such as soda, lemon, and even tomatoes, can erode the enamel and cause sensitivity.  Be sure to brush every day to minimize any staining or sensitivity.  These guidelines should be followed whether you have done professional or home whitening or neither.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Corona Cosmetic Dentist

What Not to Eat after Tooth Whitening

+2
  • For both over the counter and professional tooth whitening the first few days after treatment are the most critical. 

• Stay away from dark foods/liquids, drink through a straw when you can, don't smoke, brush a lot (floss too) and you should be looking great. 
  • Keep in mind, the less you indulge in "staining" food & drink, the longer your results should last. 
Long Island Cosmetic Dentist

What can I eat or drink after whitening my teeth

+2

Rule of thumb is that whatever stains a white T shirt, can stain your teeth after whitening. SO clear fluids and food. Drink liquids through a straw. And brush soon after you eat  for up to 48 hours. As far as strips or over the counter products, please read the directions on each . Each product may be different .

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Food Restrictions after Teeth Whitening

+2

Immediately after professional whitening, your teeth are a little more prone to picking up stain.  I would stay away from dark staining food and drink such as beets, red wine, curries, dark berries etc.  This would be the same for whitestrips.  After a week or two, you can go back to your normal diet but just know that the more staining foods you have, the more frequently that you will need whitening touch ups in the future. 

Calgary Cosmetic Dentist

After teeth whitening...

+1

It is best not to eat foods that stain or are dar, examples are berries, colas. coffee, wine and otherfoods that would stain clothes as well.  Otherwise you can eat a fairly normal diet.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Food restrictions after Tooth whitening

+1

In general when you whiten your teeth you want to stay away from any staining foods ( foods that you would not want to drop on the carpet) grape juice, wine, teas, marinara sauce, etc.  Stick to clear foods in the beginning and you should be fine

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Food restrictions after Teeth Whitening

+1

Yes, any food that can stain your white shirt should be avoided after professional teeth whitening for at least 12-24 hours. Your teeth will be dehydrated and enamel tubules (pores) will open up temporarily as a result of teeth whitening process. Teeth are susceptible to catch stains during that time. It is best to follow the same guidelines after at home whitening as well (this depends on the strength of the whitening solution) Hope this helps!

Fremont Cosmetic Dentist