Is There Any Way to Fix This Type of Torn Breast Pocket? (photo)

I read about floor compression to prevent/fix capsular contracture. I tried that and now my breasts are completely distorted. It was very painful as I was compressing them but I thought I was just "breaking up the scar tissue". I guess I was actually tearing my own pocket. My breasts no longer have the natural roundness at the bottom or sides because the force of the compression pushed the implant so hard it tore through in a few spots. Is there any way to fix such an issue?

Capsular rupture vs capsular contracture

+2

You really need a breast exam to determine if this deformity of the inferior pole of the breast is due to a capsular tear or a capsular contracture.  Each of these would require a different surgical procedure to correct.  The fix may be easy or complex depending upon its etiology.   Check with your plastic surgeon at this point.  

Fix This Type of Torn Breast Pocket

+2

Sorry to hear about what has occurred while you thought you were doing right. 

The areas where the pocket has been stretched can be repaired probably by suturing. Acellular dermal matrix (Strattice) has been used in secondary pocket revision, but it is pricey, and given that what seems to have caused the problem will not likely recur, I think it is not necessary. 

Although I see some asymmetry, an actual exam by your surgeon will be most valuable in planning whatever will be necessary. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Torn pocket or irregular capsule

+2

While possible it seems hard to imagine that you could put enough pressure on your implant to noticeably tear the capsule.  The distortion in the implant could be related to capsular contracture rather than something you've done.  It's hard to tell from the photo so its best to have your surgeon take a look.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Revisionary breast surgery to treat capsular irregularities

+2

I'm not certain what's going on here - I agree that you had a very nice result at the 6 month post op mark - the issues you are having now may or may not be related to the floor compression routine you were doing. They may simply be the natural evolution of a relatively large implant with your anatomy. Seek out a board certified PS in your area for an evaluation.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com/SurgicalProcedures_RevisionalCosmeticBreastSurgery_681958.aspx

Preventing capsular contracture

+2

Dear Sparkalina.  It sounds like you have performed a "closed capsulotomy" on yourself.  Surgeons used to squeeze women's breasts to break up capsular contractures.  I would recommend you wait at least 3 months before you decide to have surgery (unless you already have capsular contractures).  These ballooned out areas may heal on their own. 

There is some controversy as to whether or not massages help.  For now, stop the massaging until this heals.  If you want to resume massages in the future, they should be uncomfortable, but never painful.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.natural-lookingresults.com

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Question about implant pocket

+2

Hard to tell all of what is going on with your pockets.  To me it looks like there may be some element of contractures in addition to the pocket irregularities.

I am not sure that you did anything to contribute.  Working with foreign material (i.e., implants) is at time dicey regarding healing.  That said, it looks like the pockets can be revised surgically by doing more dissection in some areas and closing the pockets in others with some intra-operative maneuvers including sutures.

Fortunately, you should not experience the same amount of postoperative discomfort, and recovery should be quicker.

sek

Irregular borders

+2

Hi sparkalina,

I'm not sure if you performed the floor compression because you had capsular contracture or you were trying to prevent it.  Regardless, I don't believe massages either can prevent or treat capsular contracture.  I do not have my post operative patients massage at all and my capsular contracture rate is less than 1%, which is as low as any other series.

At this point, however, you would need revision surgery to correct the irregularities.  In my opinion, the best approach to give you the beautiful results that you showed at 6 months is to perform bilateral capsulectomies. That is a procedure where the whole capsule is taken out and you basically start from scratch.  No vigorous massages after surgery this time.

Good Luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

AryKrauMD.com

Revision of implants after breast augmentation

+1

it would be necessary to determine if the capsule is torn or contracted.

this will likely need a small operation to correct either way.

Breast distortion months after an augmentation

+1

can occur under the circumstances you describe but as mentioned, would be very hard to do to yourself.  If you are having changes in the shape and appearance, you should go back to your surgeon for his/her opinion as to what could be happening.  Your 6 month photo looks excellent and if you didn't push down on the implant as you are at 9 months, does that fullness disappear?  Regardless, you need a face to face examination so I suggest you see your surgeon about this.

Capsule tear?

+1

Wow!  You must have been pushing really hard to cause that. An exam in person would help delineate what might be the best treatment for this problem.