Is There a Way to Get Estimated Quotes from Teaching Hospitals Without Being Bogged Down by Consultation Fees (photo)

i live in ma, i have gynecomastia and want surgery but costs in boston area are expensive. i have done some research and it seems that teaching hospitals are my most probable solution. prices for the procedures are not posted,so i need a consultation but consultations are not free. i would like to make an informed decision but i dont think i can afford to have as many consultations as i need. is there a way to get estimated quotes without a consultation? if not what are are my options.

Gynecomastia Surgery and Expenses?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would strongly suggest that you be very careful about how you proceed as you plan your gynecomastia surgery.  You will be much better off saving your money and having the procedure done by the best plastic surgeon you can find,  than  to undergo the procedure and have regrets afterwards. Revisionary surgery can be very expensive both emotionally and financially.  You can do much of your preliminary research online and choose 3 plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience with  gynecomastia surgery,  whether they charge a consult fee or not. These fees will be a small price to pay in the long run.

Breast Reduction - Gynecomastia Surgery Fees

+1

You might be pleasantly surprised at how many consultations you can get at minimal to no charge.  Many surgeons incorporate "free" consultations into what they offer patients.  I would suggest that you call around, or search online, and research these fees.  Whether at private offices or in teaching centers, I think you'll be able to get a lot of information, and probably some some reasonable prices quotes, without spending a lot of money.  If any.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Determing Gynecomastia Surgery Fees

+1

In today's world of extensive internet interactions, you should be able to get a good idea of fees by doing research just as you are doing now. Many plastic surgeons at no charge can evaluate and propose potential fees based on picture analysis alone. You just have to do a little more digging and exploring on the net. You may be surprised to learn that a teaching hospital may not be the best option or even the most economical.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Consultation fees

+1
Not all plastic surgeons charge consultation fees. It's been my policy not to do so for the past 28 years. Plastic surgeons debate this all the time. I'd rather spend the tme to explain why someone isn't a candidate for a surgery, at no charge, than to have them think that they had to pay to hear that I wouldn't operate on them. Realistically, my practice is based on the surgeries I perform and not on the number of consults I see in a given year. I'd encourage you to check whether there are board certified plastic surgeons in your area who offer complimentary consultations. Additionally, while back in the day, training programs offered the best value for the dollar, they do not offer free surgery in these economic times and there may not be a significant difference between the cost of having surgery performed by a resident, with higher hospital and anesthesia costs, than in a community based setting.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Consultation fees

+1

Just like any service you will need to shop around for the best value. This includes price and quality. Both are important and each individual will need to determine how much quality they are willing to sacrifice for cost reduction. 

Many places will have free consultations or take the consultation fee off of the surgical fee if the patient schedules the surgery

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Teaching hospital plastic surgery

+1

You are obviously very appearance conscious and as such I would not recommend a teaching hospital, as the resident surgeons doing your surgery have very little experience.  It costs more to fix a bad result, even if it is possible to repair it, than to get it right the first time.  Teaching hospitals are fantastic for big reconstructive cases like in cancer reconstruction or trauma or birth defects.  Not so good for cosmetic surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS