I Would Like My Nose to Look More African; Is This Possible?

I would like a slight curve in my nose and slight widening and a less sharp tip is this possible? i have a slightly straight 'caucasian' nose shape and as i identify as a black man it makes me quite self consious. Ive looked and reasearched for this topic on 'Ethnic rhinoplasty' sites but noone has mentioned this topic yet to my knowledge. Im of east indian and african decent, i would like an opinion on photos of mine but i would like to keep the pictures private.

Ethnic rhinoplasty is a procedure that takes special expertise

+2

Ethnic rhinoplasty not only helps a patient maintain their cultural identity, but it is also a procedure that takes special expertise and consideration for a patient’s unique bone structure and skin type. Typically, African-American patients have wider nasal bases and a flatter tip, so enlarging the nose may be required to achieve these results. Bone, tissue, and cartilage can be grafted from other areas of the patient’s body to reshape the nose. By using materials from the patient’s own body, the risk of complication is decreased and results will be more natural-looking. It is important for your surgeon to be experienced and knowledgeable working with different ethnicities. An in-person consultation is necessary to discuss your cosmetic goals. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with both traditional and ethnic rhinoplasty to help determine what techniques will achieve your goals.

Since you have not had surgery previously, this is probably possible.

+2

Plastic surgery requires skills being innovative. This is not the usual request, but should be possible. As long as we know what the goal is.

In this case we would want to reduce the tip projection by separating the tip cartilages, this would also widen the appearance of the nose. We may want to reduce dorsal projection which is a fairly standard maneuver in rhinoplasty..

Feel free to send the photos.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Make Nose look 'More' African

+2

This is not a typical request but certainly not an unreasonable request. Widening of the nose to some degree can be accomplished. Most importantly would be the need to establish how much change you're looking for and if it appears reasonable to the surgeon. Best of luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

African Rhinoplasty

+2

Without seeing your pictures, it is difficult to say what one can and cannot do. However, some procedures can be done more easily than the others. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

What you are describing is basically a reverse rhinoplasty. The basic changes required would be widening and flattening of the bridge, rounding of the tip and widening of the nostril base. There are a few ways to do this. You are probably better off widening the bridge with grafts so that in case you do not like it you can remove the grafts. The tip changes could mostly be achieved by unrolling the 2 tip cartilages and holding them in place with sutures. Widening the nostril base is not so easy and may not be worth the possible visible scarring and/or pigmentation changes.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, your request sounds possible but in order for anyone to advise you a photo will be necessary. Please feel free to send your photo to my office so I can advise you. I will need a front view, both sides of your profile and one with your head tilted back looking up into the nostrils. If you are not comfortable doing this schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

David Alessi, MD

Reverse Rhino

+2

Platyrrhinization can be accomplished via reverse rhinoplasty techniques!  However, you need to discuss "realistic expectations" with your Cosmetic Surgeon first.  Best to you.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty issues

+2

Flattening of the dorsum in an otherwise straight nose is not very common but can be performed.  As for the tip, this refinement may be possible as well, but an exam in person would be essential.

Making Nose Look More African

+2

A nose can be enlarged; when doing revision rhinoplasty we frequently add cartilage or soft tissue to replace what was taken during the original procedure. If you are concerned about privacy you can E-mail your pictures to physicians who participate on this site.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

While the changes you are describing are not common requests, this does not mean they can not be done. In fact, most of them are the reverse of a typical rhinoplasty by making a hump and having less tip projection and broader domal width. They can certainly be technically done other than the nostril widening. This is the one maneuver where skin has to be added and that is not possible. It would be necessary to evaluate some photos for a final opinion however.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD